EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

First dive with Phoenix

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Bryan,
Thanks so much for the great service. I had a blast yesterday on my first DH dive. After I worked a few bugs out of my rig & practiced some skills, (lost reg, clearing ect.) I just went and had fun. I think I still need to lower my tank a little to get it just right, but I was never uncomfortable with it as is. One question came to mind though, Would an increase in IP help to compensate for a improperly positioned reg? I know the book states 110psi, But it seems like a few guys have experimented with higher settings. Whats the advantage? Just curious. One other thing, the Oceanic octo I bought new from Leasure Pro is a piece of crap, leaks, freeflows, magnetic keeper don't keep. My Phoenix that is older then me worked perfect. Think I'll find an old conshelf 2nd stage to rebuild.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: First dive with Phoenix

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Please tell me where you got a book that has a Phoenix in it and then show me where it says the Phoenix should be set to 110psi IP??? The USD manual says the IP on a Royal should be 120psi and on the latest Conshelf XIV at 130 to 160 with 135 being ideal..I find that the Phoenix MOD II performs best for most folks around 120-125psi..The enlarged ports in the MOD II flow a tremendous amount of air and raising the IP gives you no real advantage on cracking effort at the mouthpiece. When your regulator left here it was cracking over on the bench at 1" WC or less. That is in the league of the best regulators on the market and substantially lower than many.
Raising the IP too high will not gain anything and when it is set higher you are a lot closer to overcoming the spring rate on the 2nd stage and causing a freeflow...
Regulator position is crucial...If you are still hitting your head on the can then you need to get that figured out. Ideal position for the regulator is against your back and between your shoulder blades...Get that right and give yourself more time to get comfortable and I think it will be fine....Oh and next time you have a question for me please just E-mail it :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”