SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Streamlining a Phoenix

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:29 pm

- My first Double hose is a DA Aquamaster I sent to Bryan for re-build into a Phoenix. I bought a BCD, octo, and pressure gauge dash board to go with it. I have dived it twice one day off Key Largo and once in a pool here in Minnesota. I LOVE the regulator but I cringe when I look at what I've done to it...
- About the same time frame, I got a fever and bought almost the identical Phoenix only rebuilt to new chrome, pristine condition by Bryan at VDH. This one I have dived several times in the pool and several times in local lakes. I love it and I have yet to hook it up to anything other than a tank... I don't want to spoil it!
- I've been thinking about how I might set up the original Phoenix in a better, more enjoyable configuration. The first thing I thought to do was switch to an Oxycheq Mach V in the smallest size... 18 Lbs lift. I was also thinking of putting a vintage style harness on the Oxycheq back plate. Then, I'd shorten the Octo and pressure hoses so they can fasten back at about my waistline, near the tank. Simplify the pressure gauge and put depth and compass on my wrist. And finally, does anybody still just manually inflate their BCD? I hate to waste breathable air and manual inflation would eliminate some clutter.
- I'd appreciate photos and opinions of anyone who has streamlined their Phoenix.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Streamlining a Phoenix

Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:29 am

You could even try a hose-less computer/ SPG.

I prefer traditional SPG, but I can see the appeal(sp?).
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 am

Hi Surflung,
While I don't have a Pheonix (yet) I have a couple of ideas about streamlining that I'll throw out just for the heck of it.

The first would be to use a vintage second stage as your octo on a black hose like this. The hoses are bit confused at the cans because I have an 3 way adapter on it:

The second might be to use a valve/older era SPG on your tank like this, though it does negate the benefit of the HP ports on the Pheonix. It is dedicated to the tank (the SPG) but eliminates the hoses off the reg. The SPG also depressurizes when the valve is turned off so it can be swapped out:
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

USdiver
Master Diver

Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Echoing Luis, the hoseless spg, and a BC based octopus such as the Mares Air Control would knock you down to 1 hose and a hp transmitter. Doesn't get much more streamlined than that.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:07 pm

- Thanks guys. I'm looking to make my Phoenix/BCD rig superior to the accepted norms. The small profile of the 18 lb Mach V wing takes it back to starting out neutral and needing minimal buoyancy adjustment... If at all. Which seriously challenges the need for an LP inflation hose. Then, I'm thinking short black hoses of equal length for the SPG and Octo... Perhaps secured to one another behind the back along the sides... with a retractable retainer for reading the SPG. Maybe these might secure to a weight belt with those 2" slider D-Rings.
- Has anybody set things up like this and might maybe show us a picture?
SurfLung

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:59 pm

I know how you feel Surf! My Phoenix has a 1970's USD octo, a Sportways cap gauge and an inflator hose. I think if you use a brass & glass spg instead of the console, you'll feel better.. :D

I like the idea of the shiny second stage instead of my plastic yellow octo (the hose is black instead of yellow, that helps also). My hoses are regular length and clip them on my waist. I'm using a Freedom plate with a DiveRite Harness, and removed most of the D-rings and the Rec Wing. I think I have 2 D-rings now. It's clean and the harness is super snug, the tank doesn't move. When I dump the wing, I remove the inflator hose of course. It looks better, but I must do something about my octo....

BTW, I have the same octo you do on my Titan setup. Does yours freeflow? I was having to adjust it often, then I just stopped using the setup altogether.
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:00 am

I have used a small travel wing, with a single LP line which fills an Air Source (combined inflator and octy). I have attached a transmitter. I only use this rig if I am required by a dive boat operator to have a modern rig, but is is simpler. Steve

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:22 am

Aileron wrote:I like the idea of the shiny second stage instead of my plastic yellow octo (the hose is black instead of yellow, that helps also). My hoses are regular length and clip them on my waist. I'm using a Freedom plate with a DiveRite Harness, and removed most of the D-rings and the Rec Wing. I think I have 2 D-rings now. It's clean and the harness is super snug, the tank doesn't move. When I dump the wing, I remove the inflator hose of course. It looks better, but I must do something about my octo....

BTW, I have the same octo you do on my Titan setup. Does yours freeflow? I was having to adjust it often, then I just stopped using the setup altogether.
- That all sounds a lot like the direction I'm headed... That yellow Octo hose has got to go. The USD Octo I'm using was kind of a "support the local dive shop" purchase. It hasn't free flowed yet but, I'd rather use my Dad's original Voit 40 Fathom 2nd stage... I just haven't had much luck finding parts and info on restoring it.
- I'm thinking to go with two shortened, black, equal length hoses: the spg and octo. And fasten them somehow at sides and slightly back... maybe on the back plate. How do you do it at the waist... Are they on your weight belt? Quick Release?
- I'm seriously thinking about oral inflation of the Mach V Travel Wing. I'm thinking if I dive neutral, I'll only be blowing a minor amount of air into it to compensate for suit compression. This makes complete sense to me but, I suppose it would be frowned on in a dive boat situation?
- Regarding the BC Based octopus, I'd like to avoid as much bulk on the BC hose as possible... It crowds my double hose. I was even wondering if the corrugated BC hose could be replaced with a lower profile hose of same diameter as spg and octo hoses. :idea:
- Regarding the hoseless spg... I got looking at the price tag and for something I don't think I will be using as a preference, it seems like a lot of money. I've been enjoying the simplest (no bc, no octo, and no spg) diving much more than I did the other way... Maybe if I get this set up right I'll like it better and the hoseless spg will be more attractive. :)
SurfLung

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 am

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Wow, that's pretty slick Bryan.

Looks like from their site, that they've been out a while, but I guess they haven't made it this far inland... at least I've never seen one.

I have never been a fan of the bulky Air2 setups, but that thing is small enough that clipped inline with the power inflator on a horse collar, I don't think you would even notice it was there.

Do they work pretty well???

When they say the older version "delivers just enough air to reach the surface"... how much is enough? better to go with the newer version? anybody have experience with one???
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Aileron wrote:I like the idea of the shiny second stage instead of my plastic yellow octo (the hose is black instead of yellow, that helps also). My hoses are regular length and clip them on my waist. I'm using a Freedom plate with a DiveRite Harness, and removed most of the D-rings and the Rec Wing. I think I have 2 D-rings now. It's clean and the harness is super snug, the tank doesn't move. When I dump the wing, I remove the inflator hose of course. It looks better, but I must do something about my octo....

- That all sounds a lot like the direction I'm headed... That yellow Octo hose has got to go. The USD Octo I'm using was kind of a "support the local dive shop" purchase. It hasn't free flowed yet but, I'd rather use my Dad's original Voit 40 Fathom 2nd stage... I just haven't had much luck finding parts and info on restoring it.
- I'm thinking to go with two shortened, black, equal length hoses: the spg and octo. And fasten them somehow at sides and slightly back... maybe on the back plate. How do you do it at the waist... Are they on your weight belt? Quick Release?
- I'm seriously thinking about oral inflation of the Mach V Travel Wing. I'm thinking if I dive neutral, I'll only be blowing a minor amount of air into it to compensate for suit compression. This makes complete sense to me but, I suppose it would be frowned on in a dive boat situation?
- Regarding the BC Based octopus, I'd like to avoid as much bulk on the BC hose as possible... It crowds my double hose. I was even wondering if the corrugated BC hose could be replaced with a lower profile hose of same diameter as spg and octo hoses. :idea:
- Regarding the hoseless spg... I got looking at the price tag and for something I don't think I will be using as a preference, it seems like a lot of money. I've been enjoying the simplest (no bc, no octo, and no spg) diving much more than I did the other way... Maybe if I get this set up right I'll like it better and the hoseless spg will be more attractive. :)
I have one D Ring on my harness at the waist and it's mounted as far back as I could comfortably reach. Out of the way, yet accessible. It keeps the clean look, but the yellow octo stands out to me. Of course, that is what it's supposed to do.....just not on MY set up :D When you get yours set up, post pics so we can see your final set up. I'm interested in any ideas for improvement....Good Luck!

Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Of all the options, using the materials I had at hand around me, I would probably use my old air-source II, and a short-hose SPG over my left shoulder, so all the extra doo-dads (power inflator, octo, and SPG) are all in one place - just over my left shoulder. Then I would keep that package all tucked up close to my left shoulder strap in a harness. However, my AS II is currently on my horse-collar because its part of my Mistral set-up.

Now, regarding the other options, I think that a hoseless SPG would be really streamlined - but as you say, weighing that against the cost of it... well, I guess I can live with that extra hose.

About the air-buddy, I actually got interested enough to scan eBay for one. Bear in mind that the air-buddy should be used by you, and that would mean giving up your DH to an OOA diver. I can imagine a set-up where a small diameter corrugated hose was used on the BC (I actually have one that's less than an inch in diameter), plus an in-line air buddy, plus an over the shoulder SPG - all that should theoretically make for a pretty streamlined kit. (you can use the thinner kevlar HP hoses for less bulk :D )

Personally, my current Phoenix config is a bit similar to what I've seen in some of Nemrod's photos: My octo (an old metal conshelf) is on a standard octo length black hose mounted on a swivel and with a bungee necklace under my chin. The hose length allows me to tuck the excess in my waist band - so no loopy hoses. Bungeed under my chin, its near enough (besides some old habits die hard) for me to quickly locate, and a slight tug can release it to be donated to an OOA diver. SPG clipped to left hip D-ring. Shortened inflation hose and short corrugated hose to my small single-tank wing. Will post a photo soon. Sounds almost similar to a standard hog set-up, but after all, that's why the Phoenix is around. Otherwise, if I was diving in a place where config wasn't an issue, I'd probably just use my Mistral :D

Sharkinabus
Diver

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:27 am

I've used miflex hoses with a mini spg and a Scubapro 109 as occy. Streamlines quite nicely.

I often dive without a BC and tuck the inflator hose alongside my tank or remove it altogether. With occy and spg clipped in place it feels pretty close to diving my stock DA Aquamaster.

I have considered a wireless HP transmitter but seems like overkill. Perhaps if I find a bargain on eBay I might;)

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:45 am

SurfLung wrote: - That all sounds a lot like the direction I'm headed... That yellow Octo hose has got to go. The USD Octo I'm using was kind of a "support the local dive shop" purchase. It hasn't free flowed yet but, I'd rather use my Dad's original Voit 40 Fathom 2nd stage... I just haven't had much luck finding parts and info on restoring it.
Ahh come on now, the yellow is purtty.:)
Herman

SurfLung
Master Diver

Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:05 pm

- I ordered an Oxycheq Mach V "Traveler" in the 18 lb. lift size and the Oxycheq Ultralite back plate. So, the next project begins...
- Yesterday I dove my disliked traditional BCD with my Phoenix, inflator, octo, and SPG dashboard... I haven't used this since Florida and wanted to see if I could set it up any better. I used the two weight pocket straps on the back to clip the spg and octo hoses a little more out of the way. Rolled up the rest of the entire octo and zipped it into the right side front vest pocket. The spg was sufficiently shortened and may not have seemed half bad except for it being such a huge, 3 gauge dashboard. I was diving neutral so I didn't use the BCD inflator. I was diving solo so I didn't use the octo. And I was diving known depth and terrain... So I didn't need the dashboard depth gauge and compass.
- The conclusion becomes: Just because the Phoenix has the ports, doesn't mean we need to use them, does it? The ports were only part of the reason I got the Phoenix upgrade. The other was to have the Balanced First Stage upgrade... That, the ports, the duckbill eliminator, the improved wagon wheels and cupped valves, etc, etc... Make the Phoenix the most state-of-the-art Double Hose reg ever made. I think I will remain happy to dive my other one with nothing but the tank attached to it.
- I read an old thread on Scuba Board about "minimalist" diving where I think one of our VDH contributors talked about it not being a set formula... Equip your diving for what you need, what you use, what you're comfortable with... It might have been Slonda... It was a real good common sense approach. :idea:
SurfLung

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”