bbain
Vintage Diver

Re: Streamlining a Phoenix - hoseless SPG

Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Using a hoseless SPG. I used one (Aeris Elite) at Sand Dog in Bonaire this past April. Once I got used to the fact that the display would blank out until I submerged if I didn't get into the water right away, it worked fine. However, the can would sometimes block the signal to the wrist unit. Easily enough fixed by bringing my hand over my head, but a bit disconcerting to look down and see "----" for tank pressure! If I can find one, I will try an 7/16" extender to see if that puts the transmitter far enough out to "peek" around the can.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Streamlining a Phoenix

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Herman wrote: Ahh come on now, the yellow is purtty.:)
-Yes, it sure is. In fact, I'm putting new yellow hoses and a black Voit hourglass mouthpiece on this Phoenix(just like your's)... To match the yellow embroidery on the side of the OxyCheq. I just don't like the looks of Octos and yellow just makes them stand out more... Which I know its SUPPOSED to do! :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:48 am

Drado wrote: Personally, my current Phoenix config is a bit similar to what I've seen in some of Nemrod's photos: My octo (an old metal conshelf) is on a standard octo length black hose mounted on a swivel and with a bungee necklace under my chin. The hose length allows me to tuck the excess in my waist band - so no loopy hoses. Bungeed under my chin, its near enough (besides some old habits die hard) for me to quickly locate, and a slight tug can release it to be donated to an OOA diver. SPG clipped to left hip D-ring. Shortened inflation hose and short corrugated hose to my small single-tank wing. Will post a photo soon. Sounds almost similar to a standard hog set-up, but after all, that's why the Phoenix is around. Otherwise, if I was diving in a place where config wasn't an issue, I'd probably just use my Mistral :D

Hey Drado - Could you post a picture of your setup sometime? I finally got a phoenix and set it up on my '60 DA. I'm using a metal conshelf alternate as well. I'm trying to figure out an optimal setup for arranging/streamlining everything. The reg works perfectly even though I have only gotten to pool dive it so far.

Thanks!
Geoff
-Geoff

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi Geoff,

Here's a photo of me using my FX non-mag with a harness but without a wing:

As mentioned, I'm sorta emulating Nemrod's set-up with the bungeed back-up, though I'm using a fixed 110 degree elbow as opposed to a swivel. Excess tucks away into waist-band. 22 inch HP hose is nice and short, yet since its a thinner kevlar reinforced hose, its flexible enough to allow me to bend the hose enough to see the vintage style gauge. If I'm using my wing, I'm using a modified Al BP (because freedom plates are now gone :( ) with a semi-circular cut-out and somewhat flattened configuration (I jumped on it several times - thought of driving over it as well) so, it still gets the reg in the sweet spot. Inflator hose for the wing is custom shortened to "just-enough" length, but inflator remains bungeed most of the time to the harness so there are no danglies.

I've since modified the 2nd stage for this reg, having painted the box-top black to compliment the black FX non mag. PRAM #1 is getting a facelift as well with a Voit black mouthpiece and gray hoses :D

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:07 am

Ed, you look like a scuba model in that pic. Can you give us a shot of your BP. I'm curious about the cut out.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:14 am

DaleC wrote:Ed, you look like a scuba model in that pic. Can you give us a shot of your BP. I'm curious about the cut out.
It really isn't the most elegant of solutions - definitely not going to win any beauty pageants - but it does work for me if I need to use a wing. Otherwise, nothing quite beats just a simple harness.

For some scale, I mounted it with my Mistral:

Actually, with proper form in the water, the cans still just about touch my back. With a little tweaking, I can get it in the zone even better.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Wed May 16, 2012 11:38 pm

I still like my Oxy Mach V 18/30 on the fabric Oxy travel plate. For a streamlined octo/second either a Tekna T2100 or my Sea Turtle Air Buddy tilt valve mouthpiece:

http://www.seaturtlescuba.us/contents/en-us/d4.html

I also prefer just a simple B&G SPG, one of the new smaller versions with about a 21 inch hose I think it is clipped to my left waist D ring. I have dove this, simple, streamlined rig now for several years with little adjustment needed. I can switch from single hose modern/tech to double hose (Phoenix) without any modifications required. I have also gotten rid of the weight belt for warm water/minimum exposure wear diving with the Dive Rite weight pockets on the harness. For heavy exposure suits, I still prefer a weight belt.

Just one thing, if you go with an Air Buddy, better practice with it and plan to donate your double hose mouthpiece. It takes a little practice.

Nem

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”