sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

2 Pheonix DA's in really bad viz.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:53 pm

Took both my Pheonixs out for a Sunday dive yesterday. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, it's post herring spawn time here in SE Alaska and that means everything in the water is out feeding on the eggs and in turn spawning itself.

Last weekend I went out to St. Lazaria and did a couple of 90 - 100 foot dives looking for a sunken troller. I wasn't wearing vintage gear, but the viz was good enough that I thought I would try closer to town this week.

Here are the 2 lovelys set up and ready to go.

I met Herb at Magic Island, and off we went. I was shocked that the viz was worse than it was a month ago.

Here's a beam shot to show how much spawn and plankton are still in the water:

Viz was so bad, I couldn't even get a good vanity shot in... ha ha ha

The regs were working well though, I did drop down to 80 feet and noticed that there was a thermocline at about 50ft. A shallow thermocline is rare here, but they do happen in the summer. From 60 to 80 feet the viz opened up to about 25 - 30 feet.

My second dive was to go look for military dishes below one the old pill boxes on Alice Island.

Unfortunately, I found no dishes or cool bottles, just tons of mud. The Yellow hose Pheonix worked like dream though.

I did find a sunken warship near the bunker. Not sure what it is as all the lettering is gone now.

Anyway, hope you're all seeing better than I am these days. I'm looking forward to winter.....
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Re: 2 Pheonix DA's in really bad viz.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Gotta love that vis :D

Dude, I went diving today too and found both a headless body

and a military mask

What are the odds???
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Re: 2 Pheonix DA's in really bad viz.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:03 pm

That Barbie looks like a crime scene.
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”