sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

disassembly

Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 am

I know this is probably a basic question, I'm new, so please bear with me.

I want to get some chrome and powder coating done on both of my Pheonix regs. Is it just a matter of disassembly and reassemble to get the Pheonix off the cans? Or will it neeed to be retuned and readjusted if it's removed from the cans so just the cans can be chromed/powder coated?

Thanks in advance.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: disassembly

Fri May 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Wel, if its just the cans going in for a powder coat, and you're removing the entire body, I don't think you'll need readjusting. :D Be sure to post before and after photos of your project.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri May 13, 2011 3:05 pm

sitkadiver wrote:I know this is probably a basic question, I'm new, so please bear with me.

I want to get some chrome and powder coating done on both of my Pheonix regs. Is it just a matter of disassembly and reassemble to get the Pheonix off the cans? Or will it neeed to be retuned and readjusted if it's removed from the cans so just the cans can be chromed/powder coated?

Thanks in advance.
If you pay the postage both ways I will do the dis-assembly/re-assembly and checkup for you at no charge. Save you messing with it unless you really just want to to do it. I have plenty of shelf space now.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Fri May 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply you guys.

I will have to take you up on that offer Bryan. I don't plan on powder coating the regs until Sep. when I head back to California for a couple weeks.

I will definately post pics when the time comes. I'm trying to study the manual and get more aquanted with things before I try another rebuild. And I hope you weren't too irked by my sending you all those loose pieces. :oops:
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sun May 15, 2011 10:18 am

Make sure the powder coat is not too thick!

kgehring
Master Diver

Sun May 15, 2011 12:29 pm

The main area to be careful about the thickness is the edge where the front and back cans go together.
If you powdercoat the nozzle, the port hole areas must not be coated. Also, threaded areas like the yoke cant.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 am

I'll cast my vote for chrome. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Wed May 18, 2011 1:22 am

JES wrote:I'll cast my vote for chrome. 8)
It is a tough decision isn't it? I would like to chrome the yellow hose DA and put a new label on it:

But, the Delhi DA was in such bad shape when I got it, that I figure what the hay, give it a whole new life, in the true meaning of the word Pheonix. It has black hoses and with a Pheonix valve I think it would look good with black powder coating, new label and chrome highlights..... here's what it looked when I started cleaning. I ended up not being able to turn the yoke nut, or get the lever screws out, so Bryan is working his magic on it and installing the Pheonix:

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed May 18, 2011 6:42 am

Looks like a job for PB Blaster all right! :wink:

treasureman
Master Diver

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:00 am

I powder coated two of my phoenix using Mercedes Benz powder. It is a deep high gloss mirror finish and is a poly type of powder so it is more resistant to crack and will not chalk with exposure to UV. Total for both complete cans, Lp nuts was 110.00 cdn
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:55 am

treasureman wrote:I powder coated two of my phoenix using Mercedes Benz powder. It is a deep high gloss mirror finish and is a poly type of powder so it is more resistant to crack and will not chalk with exposure to UV. Total for both complete cans, Lp nuts was 110.00 cdn
Holy cow, that seems like a bargain considering the results that powder coating usually gives.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 am

BE VERY CAREFUL when powdercoating.....If they get it too think on the cans you are SCREWED.... Treasureman your cans are a good example. In my opinion if they had put on the coating just a little more than they did the cans would have never fit together correctly....Nor would the diaphragm have fit in the groove correctly and would not have held in place safely. If you get it too thick on the band clamp ring it will never fit over the cans correctly nor will it hold them in place. I'm not trying to tell anyone NOT to do it I am saying have a very thorough discussion with the person applying the coating or you might be sorry. Once it's on it's on...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

treasureman
Master Diver

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm

After listening to you from teh first time when you rebuilt my phoenix, I think my next endeavor will be chrome. I really like that gold chrome is it more expensive than the silver chrome finish
NAVED # 133...

kgehring
Master Diver

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:40 pm

MOst tinted chromes will not hold up as well as regular chrome. Gold plating is big dollars and scratches easily.
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

treasureman
Master Diver

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:53 pm

I guess it will be a high chrome finish them are sunglasses included with every chrome job?
NAVED # 133...

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”