Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Becoming a Phoenix...

Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:54 am

My reg's journey began its new life as a DA AM VDH Explorer Kit.

It came with all the necessary accessories: Banjo with adapter for SPG, and hookah port adapter for an octo. At the time, I was even wondering what other improvements were available, and I was informed that compared to more "upgraded" units, the Explorer was very basic. I attached a 3 way adapter to it, and I was happy.

I then sent the cans out for a re-chroming and a re-labeling.

... and I was happier.

Occasionally, it got dressed in blue:

But as good as I felt about it, there was still that slight difference in breathing ease between my single-hose balanced regs, and my unbalanced DAAM that I could feel - especially at higher tank pressures. I started looking for a RAM nozzle, but the price difference between available RAM nozzles and that of a Phoenix was minimal, so I opted for the latter.

My designation was number 10-034.

Here's a shot of my old DAAM nozzle with my new Phoenix nozzle:

Along with the nozzle, came other upgrades: Silicone hoses, Duckbill eliminator, hose clamps, and a curved mouthpiece... and new stainless steel labels to go with my reg and my tire yoke knob (as well as the purge button for my designated octo -shown in the process of restoration):

I put them all together and tuned the reg. Pool tests this week, to be followed by open water tests in May.

My Phoenix has risen.

-edit: added blue and octo

scaph
Master Diver

Re: Becoming a Phoenix...

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:26 am

Wowwww.....beautiful :shock:

I understand now...."Beauty is in the details" :wink:

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:32 am

Absoulutely beautiful! Awesome regulator indeed. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:51 am

Great job! It's looks fantastic!
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Popeye
Master Diver

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:59 am

nice images

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:12 am

Not only a gorgeous reg, but an outstanding job of posting the information.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:43 am

Reproduction labels like Drado's will be available soon. See the thread under the For Sale Board Section.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Drado
Master Diver

Sun May 01, 2011 5:25 am

Test dove my Phoenix in the pool this week-end. The thing breathes great! I tried it out with one of my LP72s and tried it in different positions.

In a normal horizontal position, it felt just natural breathing from it. Even when I started heading for head down trim, I didn't notice any change in the breathing characteristics.

When I'd flip onto my back, the reg would start to inflate my cheeks :D But even in this position, it didn't freeflow :D

One happy DH user here:

Upon reaching home, I gave the reg a good hose-down - even directing the hose into the mouthpiece. Upon opening the cans, there wasn't a single drop of water in the intake hose or cans. Man, those check valves work great!

Next stop: Salt water!

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 pm

Looking at the first and last photo, I would never guess they are the same reg. You did a great job, it just looks clean and sanitary.... I like that look a LOT! Thank You for posting, I get more inspired everytime I look at the pics of your reg.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Drado
Master Diver

Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks Sitka!

The changes I made were mostly cosmetic. The base regulator was after all a rebuilt explorer from the store - with a lot of the new good stuff standard.

I get inspired from all the rest of the members who post their photos as well - especially the modders who DIY solutions. So far, reaction to people seeing my reg here in the Philippines has been positive. I guess there's a lot of closet vintage equipment enthusiasts out there. All I need now is a local fixer-upper so that I can have a loaner so if someone's interested here I can switch them away from their latest-and-greatest-plastic-fantastics. :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:49 am

My apologies, Ed... For missing this thread on your amazing transformation of the VDH Explorer I used to own. What you did is what I was dreaming to do before I gave up and traded it in for a Phoenix Bryan had built. Obviously, the VDH Explorer has found a much better home with you... It's a state-of-the-art, brand new regulator and you must be awfully proud of it... Well Done! :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Drado
Master Diver

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Ah, but your regs themselves look wonderful as well! In fact, because of your Sea Hunt Mistral tribute, I decided to get gray hoses and a Voit mouthpiece for this reg. Plus, you can get to do the plating yourself :D

Now, because nature eschews a vacuum, the black hoses with USN mouthpiece that the Phoenix is giving up will be going to the FX non-mag I will be making soon :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 am

- You are too kind, Ed. Thank you for the compliment, but I am a rank amateur at this stuff and just kind of reliving childhood fantasies... Can you believe a 57 year old still would like to be like Mike Nelson? (In a wetsuit, I look like a nice fat woodtick!) :D
- I have a couple of new projects in the works. First, I'd like to streamline my Phoenix/BCD/Octo/SPG into something I actually enjoy diving with. I started a thread on the Phoenix Nozzle Zone and hope to gets some ideas, see some pictures, and come up with something special.
- Second, I recently finished restoring a couple of small tanks. My "SurfLung" avatar comes from the plastic SurfLung my Dad bought me because I was too young to get a "Vigo 18" Aqualung. I saw a kid with one of these in probably 1960 and wanted one SO bad. Anyway, I have two small tanks along similar themes and am near to posting photos of them with matching Mistrals!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Fat Woodtick...... :lol:

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”