Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Re: First Day Diving my new Phoenix

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:34 am

Update:

I have up to now been struggling with trying to get the positioning of Phoenix where it should be on my back. After a few tries, I finally just realized that my current rig wasn't capable of handling it, short of blowing it apart. Eric turned my on to his Freedom plate, and I harnessed it up, and dove it yesterday. Bryan, when you said in post #2 about it breathing even better after adjusting it's position, I thought, how could it breath better? Well....

Shore dive: High tide 2:45 EST, 77* water, shallow 20 fsw. As soon as I hit the bottom, the breathing difference was incredible! On my DR plate, Phoenix sat pretty high on my back, resulting in some wet breathing and alot of headbanging (not the AC/DC kind, either) With the Freedom plate, it's literally perfect. I still can't believe how much difference that made! Every position was flawless breathing. I had the best dive yet with Phoenix.

And I know there are thousands more to come. Thanks GUYS and GALS!
**Group hug**

Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 pm

In that picture you can see that the tank and regulator were too high. The hoses are not even touching the top of your shoulders.

You may not be able to see the regulator position behind you, but if the hoses are not wrapping right over your shoulders (when you are standing out of the water), it is a good indication that it is too high. In the water the hoses will float so there is no easy way for you to tell if the tank is too high unless you reach behind and feel for it.

In order to keep the tank from moving up in the water most divers need to use a crotch strap.

Have fun
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Aileron
Master Diver

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Luis, this picture was in my Dive Rite plate..which was awful. (The picture is not that great either...LOL) Since I've changed plates, it's really made a great difference. I didn't realize how much difference until I dove it.

It's a dream now!

Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:28 am

Aileron wrote:First of all, a few words...........WOW, AWESOME, AMAZING!

.... We arrived at the Blue Heron Bridge this morning for a shore dive...:D

Sounds like you had a great dive under the bridge with your new reg! That's a great place for vintage gear and vintage style diving.

I love that bridge, and wondering if you can tell me of some other bridges or good shore dives in the same area around Palm Beach and Jupiter area. We are driving to FL from Texas in June, planning to dive again with Jupiter Divers and will definitely catch the Blue Heron Bridge. Francie and I love shore diving for the freedom, and would like to see some new places while we are there. We appreciate any new info!
The older I get the better I was.

Aileron
Master Diver

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:23 pm

http://www.force-e.com/dive_sites/beach ... ites.shtml

This is a link to Force-E, which has a shop on the west side of the Blue Heron Bridge. I believe the Bridge is the best shore dive in the area, but this link lists several others. I haven't dove them, so I can't speak from experience. Up where I live, in Stuart, there is Bathtub Beach reef.. the outer part is diveable to 15 ft. Lots of stuff there. And several places up to Ft. Pierce, at Pepper Park on A1A. The Navy SEAL Museum (where I work) is on this property and it's a good dive spot. Come by and visit the Museum then catch a dive!

Lisa
NAVED #205

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 pm

Thank you for the information. Sounds like we should come up to Ft. Pierce to see the museum and make a dive when we are in the area in June. Hopefully we will get to meet you as well.
Thanks... Bill & Francie :)
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”