Slowpoke

Double hose explorer and phoenix nozzle

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi all..I'm new to the forum and to double hose reg diving. First, I was wondering if the phoenix nozzle can be ordered at the same time and installed with the double hose explorer package? 2nd...anyone use their double hoses with Nitrox? I'm assuming that, like modern single hose regs that EANx mixes up to 40% can be used without special preparation. I primarily dive Nitrox and would like to continue should I really get into double hose diving. Thanks in advance. :)

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Double hose explorer and phoenix nozzle

Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:35 pm

I am sure Bryan will fix you up with a Phoenix in an Explorer. He will most likely respond here or PM you. Nitrox; not an issue. Dove it all week in Bonaire last year.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Please E-mail me if you have questions about the items in the store.

Search results for Nitrox and double hose regulators

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... lit=nitrox
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:15 pm

Welcome to the board. I will let Bryan handle the Phoenix/Explorer question.

As for nitrox, I suspect mine has had more nitrox through it than air. No issues at all with 40% and less. If you have never dove a DH reg, I encourage you to do some reasearch on diving them and if at all possible find someone locally to dive with. They are different beast and require a somewhat different diving technique to get the best out of them. Having a dive buddy who can help you along will make the learning curve a lot easier. In any case, do not assume they dive like a single hose reg, they do not.
Herman

Slowpoke

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:31 pm

I'm definitely in research mode right now. Have been reading as much as I can find on the subject and checking out as many websites as I can. I dont know anyone personally who dives a DH. All my diving experience is single hose as is my dive buddies, but your suggestions to dive with an experienced DH user make alot of sense. When I finally get a DH reg I'll have to make an effort to meet and dive with other DH reg users. In the meantime, any advice is appreciated. Thanks for the reply. Sam

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:35 am

The mystery and expense of the voodoo gas Nitrox has long since sailed. Unless you are using an 02 mixture of 40% or more then a double hose is as much if not more suited than just about any other regulator produced for Nitrox service. Double hose regulators have very few O-rings and most of the guys that service them know better than to pack them full of grease to begin with. Doing a double hose for 02 service is not that tough either.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:09 am

We have all dived our 2 hose regs with Nitrox. You can't go wrong with a PRAM. I have 2 myself. If you are in FLA then you should have no problem finding a 2 hose diver to dive with. What part of FLA are you in?

Slowpoke

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:28 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what is PRAM? I'm in central Florida, on the coast, near Melbourne.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:46 am

Slowpoke wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what is PRAM? I'm in central Florida, on the coast, near Melbourne.
Sorry about that, we use a lot of terms that are not common in the regular diving community. :)
DAAM- DA Aquamaster
RAM- Royal Aquamaster
PRAM- Phoenix Royal Aquamaster (what a DAAM or RAM become when a Phoenix is added to it.)
Herman

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:55 am

Somewhat off topic but I was reading over the FAQ's and thinking about what our new member needs to know about DH's another one came to mind. Should we not add one something like" How is diving a DH different than a single hose".
Herman

Slowpoke

Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:09 am

I think that would be a VERY useful topic! I really have NO idea at this point what the differences are as far as actual diving is concerned. I'm trying to find old training materials from 50's/60's/70's when DH regs were more commonly used, to try and educate myself. The old Navy manual on this site has some great info, and that's what I'm primarily reading right now. Thanks for the ed on the abbreviations! Sam

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:28 am

Write it up.....Send it to the web administrator and he will include it in the FAQ section. Useful to the point information is what the FAQ section is all about. Thank you
Herman wrote:Somewhat off topic but I was reading over the FAQ's and thinking about what our new member needs to know about DH's another one came to mind. Should we not add one something like" How is diving a DH different than a single hose".

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:31 am

Another very important piece of info when you are just getting started. From the technical Information / Diver Training section

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... =12&t=2119

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Bryan wrote:Write it up.....Send it to the web administrator and he will include it in the FAQ section. Useful to the point information is what the FAQ section is all about. Thank you
Herman wrote:Somewhat off topic but I was reading over the FAQ's and thinking about what our new member needs to know about DH's another one came to mind. Should we not add one something like" How is diving a DH different than a single hose".
I stink as a writer but what the heck I will give it a whirl.
Herman

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”