guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver
First Name: Guy

Kraken Free Flow

Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:37 am

My Kraken has developed a slight free flow. Before I send it in for service, any suggestions for things that I do, without taking it apart?

Thanks!

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Kraken Free Flow

Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:56 pm

When you mean a free-flow, are you referring about a constant leak, and not the normal free-flow from taking the mouthpiece out of your mouth and higher than the regulator case?

Does this happen when the regulator is out of the water?

Does it start the moment you open the tank valve or is there a small delay?

Have you ever just opened the cans to check that it is clean with no salt water?

Do you have a means of checking the intermediate pressure (IP)? This would help isolate if it is a first stage or second stage issue.

Some pictures to see general condition of the regulator would be helpful. Including pictures of the intake filter to see general condition.

Here is a basic regulator inspection check sheet that a few of us put together for checking any regulator. It seems to be oriented to single hose regulators, but it is not. It is fairly generic and it is a good general inspection that should be done on a regular basis to all regulators.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... -8.346813/

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:50 pm

Well stated Luis.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

guyharrisonphoto
Skin Diver
First Name: Guy

Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:24 am

luis wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:56 pm
When you mean a free-flow, are you referring about a constant leak, and not the normal free-flow from taking the mouthpiece out of your mouth and higher than the regulator case?

Does this happen when the regulator is out of the water?

Does it start the moment you open the tank valve or is there a small delay?

Have you ever just opened the cans to check that it is clean with no salt water?

Do you have a means of checking the intermediate pressure (IP)? This would help isolate if it is a first stage or second stage issue.

Some pictures to see general condition of the regulator would be helpful. Including pictures of the intake filter to see general condition.

Here is a basic regulator inspection check sheet that a few of us put together for checking any regulator. It seems to be oriented to single hose regulators, but it is not. It is fairly generic and it is a good general inspection that should be done on a regular basis to all regulators.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... -8.346813/

Good luck

Thanks for the good questions. I should have been more detailed in my post.

1. It begins as soon as I turn on the tank. I have not checked it in the water, because I noticed it at home, when I put my gear together before a dive. I had the hoses on and it seemed line a very light free flow (I could still breathe from the reg without serious issue). But, I switched to another regulator and so have not dived it with this condition. That was a few weeks ago.

2. Yesterday, I took off the hoses. The free flow seemed stronger this time, but I don't know if that had to do with taking the hoses off. On an AL 80 with 3000 psi, when I shut the valve off it would take about 2 seconds to drain the air down. It was still a steady even free flow.

3. I placed my hand over the supply tube, and the free flow cannot be stopped and the pressure builds up to where it will force its way around my hand.

4. I have not opened the cans. If I do, what should I look for? If I have to do any mechanical work, I would rather send it in for repair and service. I am not a regulator "mechanic".

5. I do not have a way to adjust the IP.

6. I have the DIN version so no way to get a photo of the intake filter.

Does this give any insight?

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 pm

The short answer is that it does need service.

I will try to add more later.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”