jmcgilroy
First Name: Jim

Phoenix/HPR "sweet-spot" Tuning

Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:42 pm

I'm a new owner of a DAAM that I've upgraded to Phoenix/HPR. I took it out for my first dive (safety test) in the pool. I was in a horizontal position and noticed that when my head was down (facing the bottom of the pool) it was noticeably harder to breath than if I lifted my head slightly (looking at the sides of the pool). I changed body position and was kneeling of the bottom and the reg was just on the verge of free flow...chin down = not flowing...chin up = just started to flow. I assume that is an issue with how I'm placing the tank and reg in my backpack. I also tried an inverted horizontal position that resulted in a complete free flow...no mystery there!

So my question is...Am I close to correct tuning or do I need to go back to school?

Thanks,

Jim

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Phoenix/HPR "sweet-spot" Tuning

Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Sounds like you are pretty close. My Phoenix/HPR(s) actually breathe very well in a head down looking under rocks position. Make sure the cans are down between your shoulder blades and actually touching your back. All DH regs are going to freeflow in an upright position with mouthpiece out of your mouth. My 2psi.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Phoenix/HPR "sweet-spot" Tuning

Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:56 pm

That sound like you have the tuning of the reg fine but reg positioning may need some work. It MUST be close (on if possible) to your back and low with the top no higher than the base of your neck, It needs to stay there as well, often time when wearing a BC, it will tend to float up away from the body, unnoticed by the diver. Video of you passing by from the side and from above is very helpful in diagnosing placement issues
Herman

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”