lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

paperback covers

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Cool 70s cover
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: paperback covers

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:02 am

Indeed. :D Here's the front cover of the first edition (1964):
As for the story itself, No. 20 in the Sam Durell "Assignment" series, "Willi Panapura is a beautiful Polynesian woman he (Sam Durell) encounters in his room in a Hawaiian hotel who amazes him with the matter of fact statement that he is a CIA agent. Moreover, she knows an amazing amount about him and then asks for help in investigating a strange death on her island."

According to Wikipedia, Edward Sidney Aarons (1916 – June 16, 1975) was an American writer, author of more than 80 novels from 1936 until 1975. (...) Among other works of fiction, Aarons is known for his spy thrillers, particularly his "Assignment" series, which are set all over the world and have been translated into 17 languages. The 42 novels in this series starred CIA agent Sam Durell. The first "Assignment" novel was written in 1955, and Aarons continued writing the series until up to his death.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:10 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:20 pm

There was an Aqualung Elite???? I'm more of a DivAir sort of a guy. LOL

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:37 pm

swimjim wrote:There was an Aqualung Elite???? I'm more of a DivAir sort of a guy. LOL
rim-shot.jpg
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:01 pm

swimjim wrote:There was an Aqualung Elite???? I'm more of a DivAir sort of a guy. LOL
Yeah, and we were pretty cool guys. See the photo of us sitting around the country club pool playing cards and smoking Camels while sipping our Screwdrivers... wearing our wetsuits half zipped and masks on foreheads to impress the chicks. Aah, enjoying the "sensual excesses of ... [the] Aqualung Elite", while the Diveair guys hung out at the "Y".

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... hp?id=1723

Ha, sorry Jim, I just couldn't resist that shot, and I'll be waiting for you to get me back.
The older I get the better I was.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:05 am

Well, I don't usually frequent clubs while wearing a rubber suit.......... :lol:

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:45 am

swimjim wrote:Well, I don't usually frequent clubs while wearing a rubber suit.......... :lol:
:lol: Oops, maybe I had better quit if it's not cool anymore! :oops:

antique diver
Master Diver

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:00 pm

We all know the new cool status group is the "Argonaut Elite", and for now I am still an outsider. :cry:

TomcatPC
Skin Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm lucky in that my Wife is a Librarian and she sometimes gets to bring home older books that have been pulled from circulation, or people bring in donations, etc.
She has brought home some decent SCUBA related books already, like a mid-1960's copy of "The New Science of Skin Diving and SCUBA" (or close to that title?) and a few newer ones. I pray that "The Scuba Set" come through our door sometime!!!
Now that she is taking her Open Water Cert. as well, she might be keeping a few to herself...
Mark

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”