wwwebtrader
Diver
First Name: andy

Can you identify this picture?

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:02 am

This came out of "Skin and Scuba Diving", Fawcett Book, # 616. Page 88
It looks like a Fred Freeman painting. He did some pulp magazine covers on diving (and sci-fi) in the 50s. I'd be interested in getting a color print, but I can not find any information on it. Thanks.

Here's the pic on page 88:
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/imgsrv/ ... ;width=680

Britmarine
VDH Moderator
First Name: David

Re: Can you identify this picture?

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:01 am

I believe you're right, wwwebtrader, about the picture on page 89 of my copy of Skin and Scuba Diver being attributable to Fred Freeman, who published in pulp magazines such as Argosy .

Just now I located a colour version online of the monochrome image in the Borgeson and Speirs volume. As you can see, the coloured picture is signed by Fred Freeman, but the peripheral detail is somewhat different:

Anyway, it's on the Pinterest website at https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/405535141428572238/ .

What a grin on the underwater hunter's face as he spears the toothy shark above him!

Postscript: Just found the front cover, on the Pinterest website at https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/431993789241314662/:
Perhaps the Skin and Scuba Diver book illustration came from the article inside the July 1952 Argosy issue entitled "Duel in the Sea"? The contents of the issue can be found at http://www.philsp.com/homeville/gfi/t275.htm#A4020.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:49 am

I love these old fantasy pictures, but being former Infantry and an avid spearfisherman, I can't help but point out that the guy doing this is an idiot. Firstly, he is WAY TOO CLOSE and has a real bad case trenchfoot on his heels and should see a podiatrist (or is he wearing somekind of early 50s "Aqua Socks"?). Secondly, I hope he has a one-way valve in the full face mask he is grining like a maniac through. (Just how does this dork equalize????) Thirdly, he has speared this VERY LARGE SHARK in exactly the wrong place for a kill shot. ( Shark will turn hard to port and exact just vengences for irritating him.) Lastly, why the hell is this moron even attempting to kill a shark that size with teeth that are 3-6 inches long and probably weighs in at 500+ pounds and is definitely a LOT longer than the goggler????? I guess old Fred didn't actually do any diving. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:52 pm

I heard from a good source that the guy in illustration regretted his aggression toward the shark.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:59 pm

In discussions with the shark (who did not bite me out of professional courtesy) I was informed the meal was soft on the outside and crunchy on the inside.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:54 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:59 pm
In discussions with the shark (who did not bite me out of professional courtesy) I was informed the meal was soft on the outside and crunchy on the inside.
One of the perks of your profession! Must be nice.
I'm not so lucky, having been both the biter and several years later the bitee. Neither of us were seriously injured, and I guess I had it coming anyway.
The older I get the better I was.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:17 am

I think its funny these days, when someone gets attacked by a shark, the "experts" will say "The shark probably mistook him for a seal"... Like we have some civilized arrangement with sharks not to attack humans. Like sharks are just misunderstood puppy dogs and will respect you if you will respect them.

Yes, I have seen video and read of many encounters where the human was not attacked. But there are many more accounts to the contrary... USS Indianapolis is one. Another that really blew me away was where some "experts" were wading in 4 feet of water with sharks and the camera captured a very casual scene where a shark just nuzzled up to the guys leg and non-nonchalantly bit is entire calf muscle OFF. No frenzy. Just one moment there was a calf muscle and the next a bare shin bone.

You may get away with swimming and wading with sharks many times. But they have big toothy mouths and can move awfully quick... A flick of their head and they can bite a big chunk out of you. So, I think I will try to stay away from sharks
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Can't tell you the number of times I've heard sharks use the old, "but I didn't get the memo" excuse! :D

M

P.S. I've got a great video clip somewhere that I took of a blue shark trying to take a bite out of a lady diver's butt. I'll see if I can find it. Probably on Hi-8 tape in my drawer somewhere.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 am

Have always loved the quote, "It's not wilderness unless there's something out there that can eat you." Why can't people get it that wild animals are not cuddly or there for their amusement?

Return to “Bibliophile Forum”