ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

GRAB BAG SURPRISE!

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 pm

I bought a box of stuff off the internet advertised as old regulator stuff for $15. Saw a blue hose and a Hope page sticking out of the box in the picture so I took a gamble. The box arrived today - Lookie at all these goodies!

Voit VR-2 Mariner; Healthways SCUBA; Hope Page mouthpiece, Aqualung Aquamatic; assorted Scubapro 109's, etc...

I think I done good. Mark

P.S. Is an Aquamatic worth anything these days? Since I already have a working VR-2 I'll likely sell this one.

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

jrltenn
Master Diver
First Name: Joshua

Re: GRAB BAG SURPRISE!

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:39 pm

:shock:

jrltenn
Master Diver

Want to double your money?

jrltenn
Master Diver

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:41 pm

I’m kidding of course. That’s a great find well done.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:00 pm

jrltenn wrote:
Want to double your money?
:roll:
One of our bretheren just emailed me with a $300 offer for the Voit VR-2. I personally feel it is worth a bit more and will likely see what E-bay yields. On the other hand, I have to factor in selling fees, etc... I guess we could have our own little mini-auction right here. Of course i may be just whacky and out of line on the price but I have seen them go for $350 to $400 in recent auctions. All funds going to my "buy a compressor and never walk into another dive shop again fund."
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Hate you.... (in a purely jealous/envious way).
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 pm

What a STEAL! :D
That's a box of treasure, as you know. The VR2 was my first regulator, so of course I like them even though the performance isn't great on my current one. I dove it some at the 2016 Silver Springs event.

Strangely, I am fond of the Aquamatic also. Fun to make simple easy dives with, but unfortunately I have never found one with an intact demand diaphragm, and had to make my own. A little complicated but worth the trouble.

Glad you got such a nice surprise box!
The older I get the better I was.

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:45 pm

They say that good things happen to good people. What a great score, Mark!
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm

rhwestfall wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:16 pm
Hate you.... (in a purely jealous/envious way).

Thanks, Mike, Bill, Bob and Joshua!

Bob, don't hate me, it's not my fault. I was left unsupervised. 8) :D

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 am

Give to the Cow 16th annivesary Vintage group this weeend.
Hi mark did you see Zale at Long Island scuba show?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 am

SeaHuntJerry wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 am
Give to the Cow 16th annivesary Vintage group this weeend.
Hi mark did you see Zale at Long Island scuba show?
Hi Jerry,

Never did get to say hi to Zale in person. She had said in an email she would be hanging out at the NAUI booth but I didn't see her there. I know she was at the party later but my son's graduation from middle school was that night so I couldn't make it.

I did run into Jeanne Bear Sleeper who I hadn't seen in years. Don't know if you knew her or not. I think she was originally from your neck of the woods. We talked for a long time about our days working at and for NAUI HQ and all the diving we use to do together back in the 70's. We both agreed we were old. :o

Have fun at your vintage dive this weekend. Say hi to everyone for me! Mark

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:28 am

Was NAUI Headquarters still in Art Ulrich's garage at that time?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:54 am

antique diver wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:28 am
Was NAUI Headquarters still in Art Ulrich's garage at that time?
Hi Bill,

No, Art had already moved NAUI from his garage in Grand Terrace, CA to an office in Colton. Although I had met Art several times it was Jon Hardy who replaced Art that I really got to know. I think Ken Brock came in as GM sometime in the late 70's but that is all kind of fuzzy now. I did all the travel arrangements for HQ back in the day. I do remember when HQ moved to Montclair, CA. Think that was around 1981. Used to spend weekends at Jon's house in Avalon, Catalina Island and we would dive his "secret" spots. Ironically, it was Jon who taught me it was ok to dive without a buddy - as opposed to the training organization mantra to the contrary. Kinda funny how no one seems to practice what they preach. All good times and memories.  Mark

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 am

Thanks for the update on NAUI history. I went with well respected NAUI in 1972 in the first crossover from the regional training organization, SCIP, (Southwest Council Instructor Program) as it began its merger with NAUI before dissolving. Course directors were Art Ulrich and Glenn Egstrom. About half the 62 participants passed the rigorous and demanding program. Art and Glenn were already well known and respected in Texas from their continued participation in the SCIP instructor seminars beginning 1968, when I first became an instructor. I still have the NAUI pin that Glenn presented to me... it's still on my Zodiac watch band, as was the trend back then. Watch still works too.
NAUI pin.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:09 pm

Bill, sounds like you were in the thick of things back then - and a fashion icon too! :D

Return to “General Discussions”