Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Ignorant Dive Shop people (A rant)

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:33 pm

SurfLung wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:16 pm
If I was going to buy another compressor, I'd get one of those Alkin units... Brand new for less than $3000. I believe that price is complete and ready to pump tanks as soon as it arrives. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alkin-High-Pre ... SwnNFZutwS.
If my Alkin broke beyond repair (highly unlikely) I'd buy another without question. Mine has run flawlessly and kept up with a couple of Sand Dog's a Sea Hunt Forever and kept 8 bank bottles filled for customers. Change the cartridge, change the oil, change the vent tube lines and it keeps on pumping. Will run on an 220V outlet and you can easily make a whip to plug right into your dryer outlet if you don't have a designated one. I do take care of it like a porcelain Jesus but when the air samples are tested for quality on both air and NITROX it is far above average.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:51 am

I think I just found the compressor I am going to buy. Thanks Bryan.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 am

SurfLung wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:07 pm
In our town, we don't have a full time LDS. And there probably isn't enough dive business to support a full time shop anyway. The one actual shop is only open one day a week now. The other guy works his dive and training business part time from home. Both of them are personal friends. The one from home has politely stated that he won't be able to fill the 1/2" tapered thread tanks nor the bushing tanks due to liability concerns. He is certified in tank inspection but just doesn't want to stick his neck out. One of the tanks he took up to Brainerd for the hydro passed fine but the hydro guy mentioned to him that it was pretty rusty inside. So, even though it passed fine and was stamped as such, he has declined to fill it.

The one day a week dive shop hasn't refused to fill anything but I kind of got in the habit of not bringing in my vintage doubles because I don't want to take them all apart for visuals every year. They are all in current hydro but they don't have a current VIP and I wouldn't expect him to fill those.

The Compressor Solves Everything - Frankly, I don't know how I got along before I got my compressor. I don't have any of the LDS problems you guys are talking about and I don't worry about what a dive shop will say or do... The compressor is just SO good that if I suddenly couldn't use it anymore, I think I'd just go get another one and put it on the credit card. There wouldn't be any argument in my mind about whether I can justify the cost, etc.

This sums it up. I would not have had such long diving career had I not owned a compressor since 1968.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:01 pm

SurfLung wrote:

The Compressor Solves Everything - Frankly, I don't know how I got along before I got my compressor. I don't have any of the LDS problems you guys are talking about and I don't worry about what a dive shop will say or do... The compressor is just SO good that if I suddenly couldn't use it anymore, I think I'd just go get another one and put it on the credit card. There wouldn't be any argument in my mind about whether I can justify the cost, etc.
Eben, You really love your compressor, but I'm not making fun of you for that because I feel the same way... about all 4 of them. :D
It's great making your own clean air and not being insulted by an ignorant t-shirt shop owner.

True story: I went into a nearby "dive shop" a while back hoping to find a new friendly place close to home, and asked the owner if they could fill a like new and in date 2215 psi SCBA cylinder for a local friend of mine. (actually, I do that for him anyway) After a "what's that?" from the owner, and a polite and brief non-confrontational explanation from me about it being what firefighter use, the store owner replied that they couldn't risk damaging their expensive compressor doing something like that. I was almost speechless, but remembered my manners (as taught by my wife) and simply smiled and said that I understood, and agreed that they should only use their compressor in a manner in which they felt comfortable. I couldn't believe I was so nice... but most of you probably know what I was really thinking. I haven't found the need to go back.

OK, now a true story about a nice guy. I must tell y'all about another meticulous vintage diver and his compressor. I was introduced to this compressor today, but instead of being led to the garage as one would expect, we went to the bedroom closet. It was kept under cover and clean enough to eat off of! Very impressive. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that's where my friend Eben keeps his RIX. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:24 am

SurfLung wrote:

I am so down with this statement! I have gotten used to having and maintaining our Bauer over here that I fear to go back stateside and be dependent as well as subsidize stupidity. A compressor is a MUST HAVE, in my book now.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:59 am

I guess I am just a glutton for abuse. Don't know why I should expect a different outcome. So I'm tired and don't want to drive the hour in traffic it would take me to get to my friend's dive shop so I stopped in at my worthless good for nothing piece of crap LDS for an air fill on my Sportsways twin 38/42s (hydroed and VIP'd six months ago). Same lady is there that i've always had trouble with. This time she refuses to fill these tanks because "it is impossible to attach a BC given the old-style harness" attached to the tanks. (It's one of Allan's fantastic creations). She proceeds to tell me its illegal to dive without a BC and they just can't incur the liability by filling these tanks knowing I wouldn't be able to use a BC to dive with them. So just to mess with her I say how do you know I won't be using a horsecollar BC? She gave me this uncomprehending blank look and said, I just told you, there is no way to attach any BC to these tanks given that type of harness. I thanked her for again waisting my time although I did it using unflattering,  uncomplementry, wholly insensitive, albiet completely accurate, language. Sorry for the continued rant but I needed to vent (again).
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:19 pm

You can too attach a wing style BC to those tanks. Luis and I have done it. A couple of attachment straps are custom made and the BC works great.

You need to stop abusing yourself going to dive shops that are idiots. I have one in this area that will NOT fill any tanks with my certified VIP stickers that I obtained by sitting through the class put on by the VIP certifying people. Lucky for me as I have a dive store, that I supposedly work for???, that has a set of triples on display and a set of drawers full of vintage dive parts, which unfortunately he won't part with. (Pun intended.)

Starting to see why getting your own compressor is becoming the rage? If I weren't so vintage I would get one, but most of my diving is now in resorts or live-aboards which provide the tanks.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks for your kind words of support Allan! Yea, I'm fully aware it is possible to attach a BIU to twin tanks with your harness. I've done it too. :D
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:59 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
I guess I am just a glutton for abuse. Don't know why I should expect a different outcome....
Isn't that real close to a commonly quoted symptom of a particular mental issue? :?

We ought to chip in and buy you a compressor so you won't squirt blood from your tear ducts the next time you try to get air there.
Seriously, if you obtained your own compressor it would free you from the tyranny of the modern dive boutiques. Freedom!
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm

antique diver wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote:
I guess I am just a glutton for abuse. Don't know why I should expect a different outcome....
Isn't that real close to a commonly quoted symptom of a particular mental issue? :?

We ought to chip in and buy you a compressor so you won't squirt blood from your tear ducts the next time you try to get air there.
Yes and yes!

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
antique diver wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote:

Yes and yes!
Long Beach dive show is coming up...Might as well go pick out your new compressor. They will make deals so they don't have to pay to ship them home...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:57 pm

In recent years the LB Dive Show has been good for getting brochures on Cozumel and Bonaire and, and, and ...... I'm not sure what else. Lots of dive shops vying for your business and a few dive manufacturers displaying their new wares. But you never know, maybe Alkin will have a booth and not want to ship their W31 back to Turkey. :D

Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:57 pm

What's with FL and steel 72s? When in FL, I usually get a in pair of drift dives in off Jupiter and if the tides are right I do an afternoon dive at the Blue Heron Bridge. Last February I did the bridge with a 72 and went to the local shop to get my steel 100s nitrox filled and the 72 air filled. They were happy to fill the 100s but refused to do the 72 due to the fact "some of those old tanks are made of bad alloy". Nothing I could say was going to change their mind. As a result, they lost out on filling all three tanks. I took them to a shop in Vero Beach where I was staying and they happily filled them.
Bryan wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:18 pm
Happened to me as soon as I moved to Tampa. Two shops within 5 miles of each other, both had been in business for decades... You can't fill those old bombs (steel 72's) Diving that old crap is dangerous..... Bought a compressor a few weeks later and a couple of years ago I had the pleasure of purchasing some of the inventory from one of the shops when it went belly up.
Ignorance is bliss till you run out of money...

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:05 am

Another Compressor Worth Looking At...
- I was looking at the AIRETEX 45 Website... Definitely another compressor that is worth your consideration Mark. I especially liked reading the FAQs... Learned a lot about the true fill rates and how they are often over stated by calculating fill rates from a partially filled tank. I used the AIRETEX method to calculate my FAD (free air delivery) from 0-2200 psi on a vintage 72 tank and came out with a true fill rate of 2.7 cfm using my RIX SA3-E that is supposed to be pumping 3.0 cfm. Everything has been rebuilt and optimized... it ain't getting any better than 2.7 so perhaps the 3.0 factory spec is just an absolute maximum... Or, it may be an exaggerated number based on starting with a partially filled tank.

Here's the link for the AIRETEX 45: http://www.airetex.com/a45.php

Aand here's the FAQs: http://www.airetex.com/faq.php
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 am

Thanks Eben, I'll take a look. Mark

Return to “General Discussions”