SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Youtube Vs. Vimeo

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 pm

YouTube vs. Vimeo
- I've always posted my videos to YouTube because that's what I learned first and it's easier not to have to learn something different. But recently I received an email from YouTube that is kicking me off their "partner" program a.k.a. "YPP". Apparently my videos don't get enough views and I don't have enough subscribers. I don't know if this will make any difference but it got me wondering if I should look for an alternative in case my videos get completely shut down like what happened with Photobucket.
- I know SwimJim uses Vimeo... So what's the story on Vimeo?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Youtube Vs. Vimeo

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:39 pm

My Uncle put me on to Vimeo. For whatever reason it's plays back at a higher quality then Youtube, or so I was told. The free version allows you to upload 500 MB during a given week. I upgraded to plus and can do substantially more if needed. The draw back if you wish to reach a large audience Vimeo is a virtual unknown. Every body knows Youtube. When I'm looking for something, Youtube is my first stop. If your sharing a link on this forum or Facebook, there is really no difference.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Youtube Vs. Vimeo

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Agree with swimjim. Vimeo quality is much better. I was paying $60/year for the plus version but don't really need it for my posting 1 or 2 vids per year. Stopped paying and my vids are still up. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Return to “General Discussions”