ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Looking for input on what to engrave on vintage label

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Thought I'd engage the collective mind of the board for advice. I'm working on a VR-1 green label Sportsman project.  Don't have the original label so don't know the serial number. That said, i'm trying to come up with an original idea on what to engrave on the reproduction label. Doesn't make much sense to just make up a serial number - no meaning. Thought about using my 4 digit NAUI instructor number. Other possibilities include my name, "SEA HUNT," or i could mess with future generations who might acquire the regulator by stamping "L. Bridges" or "M. Nelson." My 13 year old son came up with the following idea which I have vetoed. He said (with a straight face), Dad, you like to cave dive right? You always talk about the A-line, B-line, C-line, etc and talk about the holes in the ground you have dove? Ok, so then just stamp "A-Hole Diver" on your label. Teenagers! Gotta love 'em.

Anyway, I realize the level of importance of this request is not high on the list of life's musts, but i'd appreciate any and all suggestions. I intend to dive the reg and will likely be putting a long yoke on for banjo use so i'm not trying for vintage perfection.

Thanks,  Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Looking for input on what to engrave on vintage label

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Put the date of your first dive on it in raw number format:

February 15th, 2002. If it is in roman numerals just convert them to regular numbers :mrgreen:
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:24 pm

Ron wrote:If it is in roman numerals just convert them to regular numbers :mrgreen:
That's funny! I'm afraid VI.I.MCMLXVII won't fit. I would have to convert it.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:27 pm

I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:41 pm

I have also vetoed the acronym "SPFCCMT" which George Carlin made famous as the 7 words you can't say on TV.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Someday your son will get a fortune for it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Bryan wrote:00001

Someday your son will get a fortune for it.
I love it! Keep 'em coming.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:12 pm

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:23 pm

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver
First Name: Doug

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:07 am

Alternatively, you could tip your hat to Mike Nelson and use a serial number from one of his Green label Voits. If anyone knows what that number is, they are probably in this group.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:17 pm

TeamDoug2015 wrote:Alternatively, you could tip your hat to Mike Nelson and use a serial number from one of his Green label Voits. If anyone knows what that number is, they are probably in this group.
Great idea! As I understand it the prop folks on the show would mix and match Voit cans with USD cans and create all sorts of franken-scuba variations. But I guess that wouldn't stop one from spotting a serial number on one of the Voit label-side cans. If someone could spot a serial number on a Voit VR-1 in a scene from the show that would be very interesting. Don't know how many close-ups of regs there were. Mark

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Ron wrote:I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
So according to Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1, you are a "Stand-up philosopher" aka "bulls**t artist?" :lol:

I knew we had something in common. :shock:

Mark

Return to “General Discussions”