SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Swimming Pool Activities

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 pm

What Can Make Swimming Pool Diving More Fun?
- I just got back from a Pool Dive with Rich. The local High School Swimming and Diving pool is Olympic sized and 12 feet at the deep end. It was recently re-modeled and allows open public Swimming the 3rd Sunday of every month from 1:00-3:00 PM. Rich and I had the whole pool to ourselves, water clarity was crystal clear from end to end (25 yards)... Better than 75 ft visibility. We swam back and forth up and down and around. I blew some bubble rings. We picked up the bandaids, hair clips, and gum from the bottom grate.
- Absolutely beautiful water to play with our scuba equipment but it would be nice to have something to do. Does anybody know of some swimming pool scuba activities we could get involved with?
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Swimming Pool Activities

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Entanglement drills are fun if you have enough people. A good skill to have. You need three divers and a length of rope. One diver plays the victim. the second is a safety diver who takes the rope and puts it around the victim in such a way to simulate an entanglement situation. The third diver has a blacked out mask to simulate zero vizability and must untangle the "victim" and bring said victim to the surface upon completion. The safety diver stands by and observes and intervenes in the event of a problem. Try it, you'll like it.

Jim

couv
Master Diver

Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Usually no scuba involved in underwater hockey, but why not?
https://usauwh.org/media/video/uwh-promo-video

..................................................................................................................................
Again, no scuba, but as someone who enjoys chess, I think a weighted/magnetic board and set would make an interesting game for freedivers. One move per dive, so a player's ability to breath hold combined with quick thinking would add a new dimension to the game.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm

SurfLung wrote:What Can Make Swimming Pool Diving More Fun?
- .... it would be nice to have something to do. Does anybody know of some swimming pool scuba activities we could get involved with?
Yes, but you will need a lady dive buddy.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:19 pm

antique diver wrote:
SurfLung wrote:What Can Make Swimming Pool Diving More Fun?
- .... it would be nice to have something to do. Does anybody know of some swimming pool scuba activities we could get involved with?
Yes, but you will need a lady dive buddy.
Here in California it really depends on which crowd you run with. :lol:
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 am

Pools are for Testing Winter Projects...
- We're coming up on the 3rd Sunday of the month again, and that means "open swim" at the High School Pool. Rich and I have decided to use this time to test some of the projects we've been working on.
- Rich's Snark III fireman's regulator. All it needs to be a diving regulator is a different can for the exhaust hose to vent into. We haven't found a loose Snark III can laying around so we're going to try a USD can. They take the same diaphragm so maybe it will work. We haven't done the conversion yet so we don't know if it will even fit... Maybe we'll need some duct tape? :)
- My Calypso depth gauge (see the other post in Vintage)... I'm going to take AntiqueDiver's advice and seal it in a baggie full of vinegar. Then let it sit at the bottom of the pool with 12 feet of water pressure pushing the vinegar into the bourdan tube. If it can dissolve whatever is plugging it up, it should start reading the depth when the vinegar eats its way through. If it works, I'll have to find someplace to dump the vinegar and then submerge the gauge a few more times to rinse the leftover vinegar out.
- This idea of having something to test out once a month might keep us from procrastinating on projects... I've got at least 4 regulator projects I've been dragging my feet on. Got some ideas for harness modifications. Gotta put some turn buckles on my wetsuit for my Swim-It floatation. Oh yeah there are lots of projects we can do to make the pool diving fun over the winter!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:43 am

I lost my 12 foot deep pool when the new improved downtown Y was built, the pool is too busy and only 8 feet deep instead of 12. The new Y that I cycle too in Newton, Kansas, 12 miles to, 12 back, one mile swim there and 3 miles on the indoor track is all great but the pool is only 8 feet deep if that.

I also belong to the WSU facility and swam their Master Team and adult water polo team and they have an 18 foot deep diving pool (board diving). They allow the area retail dive store to utilize it for SCUBA training. So on occasion I can get in with them but alas I can no longer go Sunday afternoons like I once could to test equipment at the old Y facility. :cry:

And dang but the new Y does not like me bringing in my kayak either to practice removing and installing the diver. Seems swimmers kept bumping into and complaining that I was hogging the lanes. :shock:

N

Return to “General Discussions”