Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: How I do it : Duckbill removal

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:08 pm

I scraped and cussed those things many times. After having a rubber bulb on an eye dropped that I had put in an alcohol based ear cleaning solution melted into goo, it occurred to me that pure alcohol might really attack rubber. That is how the idea came about.
Herman

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks or the post Herman, I always look forward to your bits of advise. And I love my DBE... what a great invention to negate this issue. :idea:

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks for bringing this forward again. I noticed the boards are quiet even with the lock downs. I hope all are well and not getting too stir crazy.
Keep safe!

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:24 pm

I used acetone a couple weeks ago. Soak for 15min then brush and do another 15. But I have to wonder if acetone can affect chrome or brass on short soakes. Dont dare use it on a painted surface. I used to melt enemy GI-Joe soldiers with acetone as a kid. Coulda sold them on ebay now.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:30 am

BigSwell wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:12 pm
Thanks or the post Herman, I always look forward to your bits of advise. And I love my DBE... what a great invention to negate this issue. :idea:
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . . . I do remember in a little restaurant in Florida at one of the early Sand Dogs, 3 or 4 of us participants sat shooting the breeze discussing diving and other miscellaneous bits. The concept of duck bills came up and after a few minutes of "why don't we try this idea", a piece of napkin, a few sketches, and the DBE idea was born. Funny how some of the greatest advances in most every aspect of life come from little napkin drawings. Unfortunately today, with this virus crap, napkins are hard to find. Oh well, innovation will have to wait until we find a substitute for napkins. Wait, we could use TP, well, maybe that's not such a good idea. Paper bags (whoops, not in NY). Hummmm . . . .
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:16 am

I just got a good use for the census forms I have been getting. :)
Herman

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Do the new repro duckbills have the same problems? Puting one on just to keep a reg close to stock.

James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:40 pm

As I understand it, the old duckbills were a genuine rubber (which, over time, either hardened or melted to goo). New repro's seem to be either latex or silicone, neither of which should have that problem.

Respectfully,

James

Vancetp
Master Diver
First Name: Phillip

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:40 pm

If you don't want to go the chemical route, boiling water will soften the rubber enough to get it loose. It can also loosen the label paint, so don't leave the label on when you boil your can. You need to work a little, but it is a safe alternative. Just boil some water in a pan and submerge the can for a while. Use some tongs to take the can out and just use a fingernail to loosen and remover rubber. Re-submerge and keep at it. I t doesn't take much.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:09 pm

I have used MPK/MEK. The stuff is getting hard to get but I still find it. It probably causes cancer in California but nobody lives forever. It will take the finish off of any labels for sure. Aircraft paint remover works also. I am impatient and usually cannot wait overnight or I will be off on another project.

James

Return to “General Discussions”