Herman
VDH Moderator

How I do it : Duckbill removal

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 pm

The board has been a little dead lately with few technical threads so I thought I would put a few “ How I do it” threads up . I have several in mind that show steps I go through when servicing a DH reg. I encourage you to give me your comments and any alternatives you have. The first one is how I remove rock hard or gummy duckbills.
Old duckbills tend to come in one of 2 conditions in old regs, rock hard and bonded to the cans or a gooey mess that sticks to everything. This method easily removes both of them.
IMG_1314small.jpg
I first remove any easy to get off rubber, then soak remaining rubber in denatured alcohol over night. I found an old quart alcohol can cut off makes a prefect container to hold the can. I slide it into the can horn down then pour enough alcohol into the can to submerge the horn and any other part of the duckbill that remain. I find alcohol to be an ideal solvent, it’s inexpensive, fairly safe to use and I kinda like the smell.
IMG_1317small.jpg
IMG_1318small.jpg
After soaking overnight, the rock hard rubber gets very soft and comes off easily from the horn, any gooey rubber just melts away. I use an old tooth brush to scrub out the rubber remaining in the horn and finally I wipe it down with a paper towel soaked in clean alcohol. Although the alcohol is stained, I reuse it a number of times. As an added benefit, the alcohol cleans all oils off the horn so it’s a perfect time to install a DBE.
IMG_1319small.jpg
I have several more of this type of tips I plan to post in the next few days/weeks. I encourage you to do the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: How I do it : Duckbill removal

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:33 am

Great idea Herman. I have something similar but yours holds the can much steadier. Can't wait to read what you post next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks Herman... That looks a lot easier and less likely to scratch the can than the way I've been doing it.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:13 pm

No reason to scratch the can at all. The remaining rubber is very soft and brushes off with just the toothbrush. On the rare occasion there is some remaining, I just clean off what comes off easily and stick in back in for another soak. There are chemicals that will cut the rubber quicker but they are much more hazardous and smell a lot worse.
I should add that the toothbrush I use has been ground down on the sides so it just fits through the square part of the horn.....they may make smaller ones but I use what I had.
Herman

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 am

Hi Herman,
Thanks for the tip! I just got my Voit VR-2 out of the storage tote it's been sitting in the last several years, and am contemplating the gooey mess that used to be the duckbill. This will make life a lot easier. Thanks! :)
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:52 am

Great tip Herman, thanks for sharing!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:39 pm

capn_tucker wrote:Hi Herman,
Thanks for the tip! I just got my Voit VR-2 out of the storage tote it's been sitting in the last several years, and am contemplating the gooey mess that used to be the duckbill. This will make life a lot easier. Thanks! :)

Hey Capn_Tucker, welcome back!
The older I get the better I was.

capn_tucker
Master Diver

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Thanks, it's nice to be back. Looking forward to diving with you guys again.. :)
Quick Robin, to the Voitmobile!

SnarkIII
Lung Diver
First Name: Skip

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for the tip Herman. I'm fixing a reg for the first time, a DAAM. I was wondering how I was going to get rid of the goo that once was the duckbill.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:48 pm

SnarkIII wrote:Thanks for the tip Herman. I'm fixing a reg for the first time, a DAAM. I was wondering how I was going to get rid of the goo that once was the duckbill.
You will find the old mess just brushes away and is no longer sticky although it will get all over your hands, kind of like working with ink.
Herman

SnarkIII
Lung Diver

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks again Herman. Cleaning up an ink like substance doesn't seem too bad. I hope you don't mind if I ask one more question. I used this reg a couple of weeks ago to hook up a mooring in about 7 feet of water. The inhalation was perfect, exhalation was next to impossible, due to the duckbill. When I opened it up I found this reg is spotless inside. My plan is to put a duckbill in it, check the IP, and assuming the IP is OK, put it back together. I'm planning this route not to be cheap and save a few cents, but believing in the theory "if something works don't fix it". Any thoughts?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Normally I would agree with you but if the DB is in that bad shape, the rest of the rubber parts are likely pretty bad too - assuming they are the same vintage which is likely . I would at least check the mushroom valves in the mouth piece and the LP seat. Very cheap parts, easy to replace and will make a huge difference. At least check the IP to make sure it's stable and if it were me, I would also change the main diaphragm. You will already have it out so you will already be doing the work of replacing it and a new silicone one will do wonders for the cracking pressure. Oh and while you are ordering parts, get a band clamp too, those C clips are a pain.
Herman

SnarkIII
Lung Diver

Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:30 am

Thanks Herman

SnarkIII
Lung Diver

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:41 pm

I cleaned the old duckbill goo out. The way you suggested worked perfect. I did order new mushroom valves, a band clamp, and parts to repair the second stage. The main diaphragm looks and feels fine, I have a NOS one if I should need it. Now to get a few hours to work on it! Thanks again Herman

James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:31 am

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to bring it to the fore again... Thanks Herman for sharing this technique, blew my mind how easy it was after wracking my brain and coming up short on my own ideas!

Return to “General Discussions”