BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Been Diving at La Jolla Cove Lately?

Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:55 pm

Might want to bring that shark suit made by Jeremiah Sullivan...

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ ... s/3000121/

I grew up diving the cove and still do today. The 'evolution' of the "save the seal" people (lower case as in the sea mammal) has been a hot topic at the Children's Pool and now the Cove with major closures; I'm not a fan. I think we do need to protect wildlife but when humans get involved and try to protect sea mammals by making sanctuary sites and closing beach access, they inadvertently create hometown buffets for sharks such as Great Whites. Yes, I have been in the water with GW, Makos, Hammerheads all sans cages and haven't been a bit worried. However, as soon as we start creating new coastal feeding stations in areas popular with ocean users and TOURISTS who don't have a clue about the ocean, we run the risk of a potential fatal encounter. At the link above you'll find a few recent videos shot in the area; one from an spero off Torrey Pines State Beach (just north of La Jolla) and another about 100 yards outside the cove, which is a normal-easy swim for lobster and spear fishing (outside the MPA of course). The timer on an attack starts now... we'll SEA if we can get through the summer without a bad outcome.

I've been diving this area since roughly 1982 and have seen all kinds of wild stuff. A Great White shark attack on a tourist is something I hope never to see or hear about. Queue up the Jaws theme song and welcome Shark Week.

Return to “General Discussions”