BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Becoming Cousteau NatGeo Documentary

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:53 pm

https://films.nationalgeographic.com/becoming-cousteau

Heard this is being released in theaters now.

Adventurer, filmmaker, inventor, author, unlikely celebrity and conservationist: For [more than] four decades, Jacques-Yves Cousteau and his explorations under the ocean became synonymous with a love of science and the natural world. As he learned to protect the environment, he brought the whole world with him, sounding alarms more than 50 years ago about the warming seas and our planet’s vulnerability. In BECOMING COUSTEAU, from National Geographic Documentary Films, two-time Academy Award®-nominated filmmaker LIZ GARBUS takes an inside look at Cousteau and his life, his iconic films and inventions, and the experiences that made him the 20th century’s most unique and renowned environmental voice — and the man who inspired generations to protect the Earth.

Rated: PG-13
Release Date: October 22, 2021
becomingcousteau_1080x1620_2e6100f4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Becoming Cousteau NatGeo Documentary

Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:44 am

I expect it's going to be available to watch at home pretty soon. Hopefully not too focused on tree hugging. I wish I could have been one of those kids listening to him talk. When I was that size I was just looking at the pictures in his books and imagining myself being a diver on the Calypso.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:27 am

Agreed Bryan. I suspect it delves into his early 'plundering of the seas' with the die-no-might years and gradually gets into his ocean conservation efforts after seeing what can happen with unchecked fishing practices, urban runoff, chemicals, etc. Pretty certain it will come out on DVD at some point as well.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:49 pm

This may be interesting. I hope it does not go the way of do as I say not as I have done like I have seen by some other old time divers. They Goliath Grouper hunters of the 60s and 70s who all but made them extinct then turned Uber Conservative. Check the NATGEO channel to see if it is there yet.

lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:35 am

Just finished watching Becoming Cousteau on the Disney + streaming service. While I have a few quibbles with the documentary, I feel like it was a worthwhile look at the man and his legacy. It did touch on his flaws but didn't dwell on them. What I found the most fascinating however was the many photos, film clips and reminiscences of his early years.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 pm

I too, just watched it last night. I missed a few bits between Thanksgiving interruptions and falling asleep, but I came away with some good impressions.

1. A lot of the photography was WAY better than the versions I've seen in books and videos. There's some footage from the Silent World movie that is absolutely beautiful in content, clarity, and brilliance of color. No wonder he got an Academy Award.
2. I think the film did a fair presentation of the difficulties of being a "good" father and husband in the midst of all of the travel, separation, and fame.
3. I think it also did a fair presentation of some of the hypocrisies of being financed by the oil companies for most of his great early Calypso and Conshelf adventures. It bothers me that the oil business connection was never made much of... I always thought that Calypso survived on funding from altruistic research institutes.
4. On the other hand another point made in the film is that massive oil reserves were discovered in the middle east thanks to Cousteau.
5. A lot of the film has actual audio from Cousteau and others that is in the french language. And so, they had to have subtitles. I think that takes away from any film because instead of listening to and seeing the movie, you're straining to read the bottom of the screen before it scrolls away.

I'm going to watch it one or two more times. I enjoyed the film and will highly recommend it. :D
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “General Discussions”