ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

How the heck do I open this thing?

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 pm

This mid-70's console was attached to a reg that I received. Anyone have any idea how to open the console case to get at the gauges. There does not appear to be a seam or screw holes. Thanks.

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: How the heck do I open this thing?

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 pm

If you are talking about the rubber, you peal it back. It is not easy. It has probably hardened some over the years.

I recommend using a hair blower to warm up the rubber until you can barely touch it. That should soften it up to make it a lot more flexible.

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks Luis, I'll give that a shot. The rubber is rock hard, but I will try.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:24 pm

Those covers were very stiff to begin with. Hot water softens them up. If not flexible enough use hotter water. It wouldn't be unusual for those to tear during disassembly.
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:14 pm

antique diver wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:24 pm
Those covers were very stiff to begin with. Hot water softens them up. If not flexible enough use hotter water. It wouldn't be unusual for those to tear during disassembly.
If it gets too FUBAR I'll just toss the whole mess. Didn't want them anyway but I figure as long as I have them I would at least try to salvage the gauges/console.

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:52 am

Had one, what everyone said you have to pry them out. Problem is the depth gauge doesn't have the mounting tabs for a strap. If I recall correctly the pressure gauge housing is plastic and is prone to cracking at the hose connection.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:36 pm

captain wrote:
Had one, what everyone said you have to pry them out. Problem is the depth gauge doesn't have the mounting tabs for a strap. If I recall correctly the pressure gauge housing is plastic and is prone to cracking at the hose connection.
Captain put it a little nicer, but I forgot to mention that they were crappy gauges that didn't generally last long. :cry:
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:08 pm

antique diver wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:36 pm
captain wrote:
Captain put it a little nicer, but I forgot to mention that they were crappy gauges that didn't generally last long. :cry:
I think I will just save the hose to use on one of my advantage geishas (damn spell check - I said "vintage gauges." :)

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:41 am

I like the SPG's, I use them on a lot of my vintage regs. I esp like the ones with the capillary tube depth gauge on them.
Herman

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:53 am

A soak of hot water with Dawn or Palmolive dish soap has always worked for me. The soaking tends to get the heat into the core of the rubber better than a heat gun with tends to melt the surface and your fingers.

Return to “General Discussions”