ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: My dive today

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:12 pm

BigSwell wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:57 am
So has the city removed the dive rule that you must have a dive partner, no Solo diving? I've always thought that was a bit nanny, being an avid solo diver myself. Maybe this grom-tadpole thought you had a "rebreather" (rolling my eyes)
The City Ordinance, as I read it last at least, basically says that if a lifeguard or officer tells you not to dive for whatever reason then you violate the ordinance if you disregard them and dive anyway. Not giving legal advice mind you. :)
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:19 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 pm
Dove my Kraken off the beach here in Laguna Beach yesterday. About 20ft viz and 57 F ocean temp (which is about the limit for me in my 5mm wetsuit for an hours dive time).

Went back out today for a vintage dive. Had an experience that was just strange. Our local lifeguards are really great and you don't see too many in the winter time. Yet today, there I am standing on the beach putting my Voit Vikings on and up walks this Lifeguard (a kid really, doubt if he was over 18). He asks me a bunch of questions about where I'm going, etc... and I politely answer him. Then he kind of looks oddly at me and says, "I notice you don't have an octopus regulator and you know that PADI requires one for all divers." Before I get to my response, you have to know what I was thinking. I was thinking, "really, I'm standing here with a single stage double hose regulator with no LP ports, no BC, no pack pack, no pressure gauge, and I am diving all by myself with no buddy in sight, and you want to know why I don't have an octo reg on?" So I simply state, of course I know that (no I don't) but my octo was leaking this morning so I thought it would be unsafe to use it and left it back at the house. I promise to get it fixed. He was very satisfied with that response, told me to be careful and wished me a good dive. Sometimes I cannot fathom people. M
I'm laughing so hard that if I wasn't coughing I would probably be crying. That's right up there with telling Cindy Lou there is a light out on the Christmas tree.

h2operations
Master Diver
First Name: Paul

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:21 pm

Mark being that fact that you are in California I am surprised they did not want to issue you a ticket. The Scuba Police are really strict, so I am told.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 pm

Got tired of working so went for a beach dive last Tuesday here in So. Cal. 2 minute video clip:

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:36 pm

Nice. Thanks
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:01 pm

Really nice Mark!!! Thanks for posting that!

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:29 pm

Well, I went back out for a few more dives this past week with my long-time dive buddy Jack. He's only 75 years old and can beat me back up the hill to our vehicles wearing full gear. :)

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:25 pm

Super nice Mark! Thank you for putting that together and posting it!

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:05 am

Very neat! The image resolution is excellent.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

couv
Master Diver

Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:06 am

Well I'm jealous (again.)

Very nice Mark; keep them coming.

...and you can pass on to your 75 year old dive buddy he gives us all hope.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:54 pm

Two Argonaut Krakens dive Laguna Beach, CA!

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:38 am

Nice production Mark, diving in the CA waters looks really interesting. Only did that on one trip, years ago. Thanks.
Allan
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:32 pm

Mark, I'd say the shark you saw was most likely a Tope (aka soupfin). We had some yo-yo catch a sevengill ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadnose_sevengill_shark ) fishing off the OB pier this weekend and he decided to parade it around for the media. It was a juvenile about 4-5 long. Sad to see someone doing this as I'd guess it probably ended up in the trashcan, they are out there but need protection. I see them off La Jolla Cove and in the Point Loma kelp beds, super cool but don't turn your back on them, they will sneak up on you...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/watch ... r-AA1dnFq1

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:07 am

You are correct! It was a Soupfin. My dive buddy got better video of it and another one.

Sad about the sevengill. I have seen a number of them off Laguna.

scott232
Diver
First Name: Scott

Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:34 pm

Great video !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “General Discussions”