captain
Plank Owner

Dr. Sam Miller

Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:01 am

I learned this morning that Dr. Sam Miller passed away at age 90.
Captain

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Dr. Sam Miller

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:43 pm

I am sorry to hear that.

Thanks for information.

It has been a while since I have seen him post in ScubaBoard.

I just found this in SB
https://scubaboard.com/community/thread ... ii.623846/
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:46 pm

I also just found this on Dottie Frazier. We met Dottie at the Legends of diving in the Bahamas.

Dottie Frazier 1st Female Dive instructor and Trail Blazing Dive Pioneer
https://scubaboard.com/community/thread ... er.617600/
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

couv
Master Diver

Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:43 pm

RIP Sam.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:59 pm

I posted on SB but omitted to post here. Sorry 'bout that. Luis' link will take you to that post. Here is what I posted on August 8th.

I received a call from Betty a few minutes ago. It is with great sadness that I report the passing of our own @SamMillerIII yesterday, August 7, 2022. He went peacefully from natural causes with his family at his side in Pismo Beach, California. He was just over a month shy of his 91st birthday. Betty asked me to convey the news. Per his wishes there is no service planned. Please respect the family’s privacy at this time.

Sam took me under his wing when I was a teenager back in the 1970's. We became fast friends and dive buddies and shared diving adventures from Baja to Northern California. I will miss him.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:55 pm

Great write-up Mark, sounds like you had a solid mentor in Sam. Hopefully someone will follow in your footsteps and become a mentee of yours. Passing on knowledge and your experiences to the next generation is a very noble cause. We all have benefited from this at some point in our lives, this forum is a prime example.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:23 am

My heart sinks a little every time I read about news like this. I always enjoyed his input on threads in SB. In recent years, a lot of his stories though talked of his friends and acquaintances who have gone to “that big reef in the sky”. I’d like to think that he’s now there with all of them happily diving on.

Return to “General Discussions”