Justleesa

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:28 am

diverdown1955 wrote:Hey Bryan,
Just got my N.A.V.E.D. card and it's really attractive ! Just that old guy on the back detracts from it's beauty! However, that great DA aquamaster makes it all better! Thank's again my friend, your one of a kind. :D

Best regards,
Jerry Moseman
diverdown1955
Hey Jerry! I thought your picture was great!! :)

Justleesa

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:32 am

Hi all!

For me getting to create this card was great fun, to follow it from drawings to finished product was like watching a child grow...The team work and communication with Bryan was excellent. I'm proud of the results and am happy and touched that you all like your cards. Thank you for letting me put faces to the names and for being a part of NAVED, as it takes it's first baby steps.

Aloha
Lisa

1stab
Lung Diver

NAVED Membership

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:03 am

I agree with Bryan regarding having some criteria for acquiring the beautiful card he offers. 75 seems like a reasonable year as a cutoff to qualify as vintage. I believe the RAM was discontinued that year.

Not to discredit vintage single hosers, I think double hose is the way to go.

The folks with whom I dive aren't vintage divers. So it's important to be understanding when people are skeptical to see one dive with a 30+ year old regulator. I've gotten comments like, "You're not diving with us with that!" Display a little knowledge as to the contents of your reg, (I always say, "Did you know that the 1st stage in this reg (RAM) is basically the Conshelf and hasn't really changed over the years?). This goes a long way to winning people over. I gotten quite a few to try it.

As for vintage diving being cheap, well I don't think so. I can't stop buying and overhauling double hose regs! The Mistral, DA, RAM -- I think they're beautiful.

A 50m underwater swim and 9 feet don and doff qual wouldn't be too bad either. LOL

Jerry
Diving like back when toilets used to really flush, styrofoam was non-existant in a car, and seltzer water wasn't so damn expensive.

treasureman
Master Diver

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:17 am

75 could be a good cutoff, as most techie dive thingys were born asfter that, but what of those who are recently certified and have seen the light and come over to the dark side, and begin to dive vintage?

I have intorduced two experienced divers to vintage regs this last summer, they in turn want to get more knowledge, and pick up some vintage regs (maybe i will sell them a couple of my extras.

I am all for those who want to come to the dark side.

Vintage rules hooya!
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

duckbill

Re: NAVED Membership

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:17 am

1stab wrote:The folks with whom I dive aren't vintage divers. So it's important to be understanding when people are skeptical to see one dive with a 30+ year old regulator. I've gotten comments like, "You're not diving with us with that!"
Jerry
I have a Calypso-J second on my DAAM for an octopus. When I get comments about old regulators not being safe or reliable, I tell them, "Are you joking? Heck, the octopus is just there for my buddy!"

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Re: NAVED Membership

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:01 am

duckbill wrote:I have a Calypso-J second on my DAAM for an octopus. When I get comments about old regulators not being safe or reliable, I tell them, "Are you joking? Heck, the octopus is just there for my buddy!"
Great minds do think alike. I also have a Calypso-J second as a octopus on my RAM. :)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 am

treasureman wrote:75 could be a good cutoff, as most techie dive thingys were born asfter that, but what of those who are recently certified and have seen the light and come over to the dark side, and begin to dive vintage?

I have intorduced two experienced divers to vintage regs this last summer, they in turn want to get more knowledge, and pick up some vintage regs (maybe i will sell them a couple of my extras.

I am all for those who want to come to the dark side.

Vintage rules hooya!
I was referring to SCUBA equipment manufactured 1975 and earlier not the divers being born before 1975……. The group is open to anyone of any age. We have several divers in the group who were born in the 80’s that are diving Vintage Equipment.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

treasureman
Master Diver

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:25 pm

Holy smokes.. did I really write that response.

I have to fall on my sword (schlorck).. I was under the heavy influence of Vicks Nyquil , and I guess when i read the original post i read it with a serious brain fog. Kinda like a double dose of narcosis.

Apologies all around, but i have to admit diving the dark side has its thrills. Oh yeah when Darth Vader speaks, the regulator sounds were recorded of a Royal Aquamaster. no fooling

Anyway, i am off my nyquil and promise never again to view any posts whilst having the plague
NAVED # 133...

Bon Vivant, and treasure finder

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:17 pm

I regret to inform one and all that I am not vintage, I am fully modern and high tech. I drive Toyotas with fifty air bags and traction control, I watch TV on a flat panel and I cook my food on an electric stove and we recently upgraded to indoor plumbing and I even got myself one of these computer thingys. I just oiled down my modern Tekna dive gear as well, somebody has to be able to rescue all you old coots with yer antique diving machines!!!! Nemrod

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:14 pm

The photo on his card shows him wearing a double hose and an oval mask.......What can you do !!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

oldmossback

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:33 pm

Were we to be outfitted in vintage gear for the Cards? Gee Willikers.....I thought a photo of myself was vintage enough..... :lol: 8)

dhaas
Lung Diver

Photos for NAVED cards

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:04 pm

Amigos,

I just stumbled on this thread and the list of people arelady getting NAVED cards. Are you guys sending SURFACE photos of yourselves in vintage gear in? Or UNDERWATER pics of yourselves?

Please advise.......I also will offer to shoot FREE digital photos at Sand Dog III of anyone needing a photo of them in their vintage gear.

Let me know.......

dhaas

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 pm

Some people used UW shots some used topside photos in the 1st set of cards. ......What I was suggesting was that if we had someone that was totally unknown to anyone in the vintage diving community that we would need a shot or two of them diving vintage equipment just to make sure they were on the up and up and a couple of other things before we started giving out cards to anyone.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:36 pm

As you may have noticed I did a little house cleaning in this post. I think it is very important at this stage of development of the NAVED group that we do our best to have creative and cognitive thinking on what will make the group great. Many of you have voiced a similar opinion as well. If we are to be taken seriously in our effort to gain momentum, build participation and gain respect in the diving community we have to put down some very simple guidelines that support what we as a group think is important for the price of entry into the small but growing Vintage Equipment Diving community.

oldmossback

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:35 pm

Bryan

How many photos do you think will be sufficent for proof? Reason I ask, I and my son are planning on diving at a local lake either this weekend or next. He will be using his newly rebuilt Christmas present, a DA/RAM and a set of twin 45's. After a short instruction period the plan is to do some deep water cliff diving. I've just gotten my newly ebay won Nikonos III with AquaMaster strobe up and running and plan on taking some photos, a few of which I'd like to submit for his card.......how many do I need to provide?

Michael

Return to “NAVED - National Association of Vintage Equipment Divers”