hunterkz
Lung Diver
First Name: gary

Good Aqualung pony bottle regulator suggestions

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:43 pm

I was looking for suggestions on a pony bottle regulator to use instead of my current setup. Current setup is a 30cf slung tank with a yolk sherwood brut reg 36 inch hose and a button gauge. I have an extra Aquarius 1st n 2nd reg that is rebuilt I am willing to use but it is heavy and bigger than the brut. I would like something super reliable, good at depths down to 180 ft, cheap, easy to find parts at VDH, not too big and a bit vintage made by Aqualung. Not sure if piston or diaphragm is better for reliability. I mostly dive in NY/NJ fresh water that can get chilly at depths (no ice diving). Thank you for the help.

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Re: Good Aqualung pony bottle regulator suggestions

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:49 pm

sounds like you need a conshelf...

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Which one there are so many? The rounded one looks compact but I am not sure which one that is of if it is a good decision.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 am

Internally, they are all the same....well the last one has a removable HP hard seat but otherwise they are the same. They differ in yoke style, number of LP ports and size (3/8 vs 7/16) of the HP port. The older ones are fine for pony bottles since you typically don't need as many LP ports. You will have to use an adapter (or old style hose) in the HP port.

The older Titan is also a good choice. Basically, it's a Conshelf with a slightly different exterior, internally, it's the same and uses the same parts kit as the Conshelf.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 am

Aquarius....Does not get any simpler or easier to service. Extremely reliable too. If you are going the Conshelf route look for a Conshelf XII. Cheaper than a XIV as it has one less LP port which you won't use anyhow and uses the service kit.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks for the info guys. I will keep an eye out for one on ebay and CL. I do love the Aquarius as it was my first reg ever bought when I was a 12 year old lad in 1980.

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Something to consider is that your button gauge (if you intend to use it) from your brut is most likely a 7/16 fitting. The older regs have mostly 3/8 fittings and require an adapter.

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:39 am

So any of the conshelf regs should work and the XII is prefered according to Brian for price and parts. He also said the Aquarius is good enough and will do the job. What do you guys think about the Aquarius reg in the cold and depth for a pony bottle reg? I have an adapter for the button gauge already and both first and second stage freshly serviced using VDH parts with just enough silicone grease to do the job and no extra :).

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:54 pm

hunterkz wrote:So any of the conshelf regs should work and the XII is prefered according to Brian for price and parts. He also said the Aquarius is good enough and will do the job. What do you guys think about the Aquarius reg in the cold and depth for a pony bottle reg? I have an adapter for the button gauge already and both first and second stage freshly serviced using VDH parts with just enough silicone grease to do the job and no extra :).
If you are diving to 180' that makes me advise considering the Conshelf. I think the Aquarius is a great regulator, but never had an unbalanced reg that deep, so wouldn't know how well they work at that point with a heavy breathing load. I'll bet someone has some experience with that and hope to hear if it worked ok. I know Conshelf works just fine.
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:21 pm

I would agree with Bill's assessment. Just put a Conshelf on and be done with it.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

hunterkz
Lung Diver

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks for all the help, Conshelf it will be.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”