georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

SW Navy Unit (1st Stage)

Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:25 pm

So I was given a pretty good condition Sportsways Navy Unit first stage a couple weeks ago (plus the Sea VU gage) and am just getting ready to have a look inside and see if I can bring her back to service. I have the service manual downloaded and have been looking it over and getting familiar with the service instructions.

1.) A look inside the spring chamber reveals a lot of corrosion. The reg was just sitting in a box in a dive shop for I don't know how many years. None of the port plugs were installed when I got it.
2.) The J valve moves freely
3.) Connected a working second stage, SPG to the correct port (unmarked) and connected an LP inflator with a 0-200 psi gage to check the IP.
4.) Attached first stage to a full bottle and slowly cracked open the tank valve.
5.) The second stage I had attached started hissing and I looked over to the IP and it was at 160-170 psi.

On to the store for a big bottle of white vinegar and will start the disassembly later today.

Anybody have any input or recommendations before I start on this? Obviously there are no service kits but I was wondering if any modern stuff will cross chart - such as o-rings or the diaphragm - etc. The HP seat is probably going to be an issue. By the way - I will need to get a second stage for this as well if I can get it working. There are a few SW seconds on the auction site but I want a Navy Unit demand regulator - keep it all correct.

Thanks

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Re: SW Navy Unit (1st Stage)

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 pm

well, that took all of 2 hours. All it took was a good cleaning in 50/50 white vinegar, a good scrub down and resetting the pressure adjusting nut to 110-120 psi as per the manual. The push rod was caked with verdigris and just generally nasty inside.

I reassembled kind of based off of Luis's(sic) recommendations that if a careful inspection of seats and o rings don't reveal any unacceptable wear or damage - best just to apply a very light coating of silicone lube to the rings, carefully clean the seats and don't fix it if it aint broke. The rings looked like they had a very familiar set to them so I left them alone except for cleaning and lube.

Reassembled everything, connected to a full tank and set the IP. Left it on for 30 minutes - good rebound and no creep. Feels like it might be a pretty good breather. We shall soon see.

georgeaustin
Master Diver

Re: SW Navy Unit (1st Stage)

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:45 am

Took the reg out on a relatively shallow beach dive for sea trials. Very impressed with how smooth the air delivery is. No free flows and breathed quite well from full tank to 310 psi. Checked IP post dive and it was 115 psi. Manual specs for IP on this reg is 110 - 120 psi at the IP on a full tank

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”