Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Scubapro Mark VII "Honker" sticker information and MORE!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:52 am

Since many of you have a Mark VII "HONKER" but don't have the stickers or have semi-legible ones, here is what they are supposed to say. This is verbatim with regard to punctuation and style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Re: Scubapro Mark VII "Honker" sticker information and MORE!

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:00 am

From a fellow reg nut, I thought it was a good question so I am posting it here.

Questions: "Picked up a honker , I believe 1rst gen. ( no 3000 PSI Stamp) I could not find the schematic for this gen on the manual section. Looking at one end, there is one open port, one srew type bolt in center , and then another port which has a plug. ALl the schematics I look at do not show this? WHen I put a 2nd stage in the open port, It seems fine. I am just not sure what I am looking at and want to rebuild this since the IP does not hold steady?"

My reply: "Sorry again for the late reply. The MK7s are all alike internally so using a schematic from a later generation isn't a problem. For set up and operation see the video I made on YouTube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gNLTk3nto

Of course on one side you have an HP port (marked HP) for an SPG, below that port you have two maintenance access covers to the reg interior. the larger one is to the oscillator assembly and the smaller leads to the actual 1st stage.
Honker Picture 1 HP and access covers.jpg
On the other side you have a so called audio port (marked audio) near and inline with the oscillation chamber (the honking mechanism) very near that you have a screw (a flat head screw that is called the retainer stem and is part of the retainer that acts in conjunction with the oscillator body very much like a reserve valve). The Audio port is where you put your primary 2nd stage regulator as it contains the mechanism to activate the "Honking" at low tank pressure (300-500 psi). The other port which is built into another internal access cover is for your BC or octopus and can be used with a splitter for more equipment.

SP Mark VII Honker LP and Audio ports on body.jpg

On the main body you should have three open holes (one is near the yoke ) that allow exterior water to enter the regulator for ambient pressure, though on some models these might have plugs in them for environmental silicon for cold water diving, making the regulator a Mark VII S.P.E.C. variant.

SP Mark VII Honker AP ports on body.jpg
The MK7 is a great and easy breathing reg, but it takes a butt load of O-rings. Your IP problem is probably due to an internal O-ring failure, since in my experience Scubapro HP seats tend to be built like tanks. Replace your HP seat anyway ! The MK7 rebuild kit that Bryan has all the rings and goodies you need. Just insure that you completely disassemble the reg to include the oscillator screw and thoroughly clean the interior. A little silicon lube or cristo lube on all rings and the oscillator body/assembly and the retainer pin and spring is a good thing. And you are right, I DON'T SEE THE AUDIO PORT IN ANY OF MY SCHEMATICS, but undoubtedly someone has it on this site. Remember, you need to hook up your primary 2nd stage to the audio port. Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bronze06
Master Diver

Re: Scubapro Mark VII "Honker" sticker information and MORE

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:11 am

A little more clarification.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”