ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Rebuilding my Dad's Aqualung Aquarius regs

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:13 pm

I took apart and cleaned an old BC power inflator today. Used 50/50 white vinegar and warm water. Took about 4 minutes on the metal parts to make them all shiny.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Jaypee
Skin Diver
First Name: JP

Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:40 am

Yeah I ended up using a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water and I soaked the metal parts for only as long as needed to get the verdigris off (for most parts this was only 5 minutes). The first stage piston needed a little longer though. I've now reassembled both stages and am now awaiting my ip gauge to do the checks and get it in the water :-)

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:07 am

Bit of an update: i've got the IP set to 130 on the first stage now but sadly i discovered that my HP hose has a small leak and will need replacing. The second stage is breathing nicely and i'm dying to try it in the water!

In the process of getting the HP hose off the gauge i discovered that my console cover is indeed a 3 socket boot. I have to admit i was relieved; i didn't want to have to scrap the console as well as the hose :(

TomcatPC
Skin Diver

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:17 pm

Reading this topic makes me want to keep my eyes open for a cheap US Divers Aquarius First Stage now... Last Winter I found an Aquarius Second Stage that I bought for $9 just to use as an "octopus" for my "daily diver" Conshelf XI. If I stumble across a loose Aquarius First Stage for cheap, I might just have to snag it and have one more vintage single hose reg... Then I need to locate another 70's metal US Divers second stage to use as a Cephalopod....first world problems... Oh well, looking forward to seeing how your project turns out.
Mark

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:28 am

Thanks for the well wishes! Funny you should mention you are on the look out for an Aquarius first stage...I purchased a first and second stage Aquarius from Ebay recently and i only wish to keep the second stage for, as you put it, a cephalopod. Would you be interested in taking the first stage off my hands?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:43 am

Jaypee wrote:Would you be interested in taking the first stage off my hands?
Very nice offer but I'm afraid the shipping from you to him might be cost prohibitive :shock:

Take a look around at local swap meets and Craigs list. I have seen Aquarius regulators and their like in dozens of unlikely places. There are many to be found on on line auction sites mis labeled or thrown in with random other items. Playing Deep Sea Detective can pay off big time with a little diligence.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

TomcatPC
Skin Diver

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:34 pm

I find most of what I'm looking for by accident, just out of the blue... That is how I found my Calypso-J. Now that I have sparked an interest in the Aquarius, I know what to keep my eyes open for. I need to get some other things more right now, but if I come across an Aquarius 1st stage for cheap I'll grab it.
One of my area dive shops sells it's share of used gear and I'll be checking out the box of unwanted J-Valves and other odds and sods...that is where I found my Calypso-J for $20. I know there is an old Scuba Pro 1st stage lurking in the box, never know what else is in there that I missed?
Mark

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:28 pm

It's times like these i am reminded that Australia is still an island far from the rest of the world. :shock:

It can't hurt for me to have a back up 1st stage, and who knows, maybe i'll convince a friend to learn to dive!

You wouldn't believe the reaction i got at the dive shop the other day when i took my HP hose in to replace it (or maybe you would!). First they were apprehensive that i chose to use a 1st stage with a HP port the same thread size as the LP ports. Then they were shocked that i got my pre-1985 AL80 tank tested and filled ("that's illegal!"). But my favourite part was how high his eyebrows rose when he found out i'm servicing my own regs. They didn't like that at all :P

Still, i happen to like this dive shop; they are passionate about diving and love to pass that passion on to others.

TomcatPC
Skin Diver

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:01 am

I'm lucky in that I know of two shops in my area that are "tolerant" of me bringing in older gear, or asking about it, etc. They might get a good laugh when I leave, but both shops have been around long enough that the owners have older kit lurking about and they know a bit about it.
I was able to rebuild a Mistral that was given to me and actually I thought it was easy overall. I did have to bring in my Calypso-J to a local shop and the owner worked on it without the bat of an eye... Guess I'm lucky in that aspect?
Mark

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:13 am

That's great to hear your local dive shops seem tolerant and even helpful 8). I'm sure the guys at my local are just a little xenophobic and will come around when they see the gear in action! Speak softly and dive vintage, as it were.

Jaypee
Skin Diver

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:17 am

I finally took my newly rebuilt regs out for their first open water dive on the weekend just gone. I was so pleased with how well the Aquarius breathes and i had no issues whatsoever. The mouthpiece was firm but not uncomfortable and there was no noticeable pull from the hose on my mouth. The cold water was no match for the Aquarius' metal (mettle?). I did, however, slightly adjust the height of the lever when i got home (on both second stages) as i felt the lever was just a tad too low for the diaphragm and purge button.

I think we can call this a success story and my many thanks to those who gave advice and encouragement! There's no doubt in my mind that this community will continue to thrive and grow given the passion and dedication of it's members. All i can do is give back.

TomcatPC
Skin Diver

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:40 am

Totally awesome to hear that you had fun!!! Looking forward to hearing about future dive fun!
Mark

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:07 am

Jaypee wrote:I finally took my newly rebuilt regs out for their first open water dive on the weekend just gone. I was so pleased with how well the Aquarius breathes and i had no issues whatsoever. The mouthpiece was firm but not uncomfortable and there was no noticeable pull from the hose on my mouth. The cold water was no match for the Aquarius' metal (mettle?). I did, however, slightly adjust the height of the lever when i got home (on both second stages) as i felt the lever was just a tad too low for the diaphragm and purge button.

I think we can call this a success story and my many thanks to those who gave advice and encouragement! There's no doubt in my mind that this community will continue to thrive and grow given the passion and dedication of it's members. All i can do is give back.

Congratulations on a successful rebuild and dive. It makes diving even more fun when you have used your own skills to put the equipment into diving condition!
The older I get the better I was.

couv
Master Diver

Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 am

Well done!
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Awesome! Well done! It rules to being able to rebuild your own equipment. keep diving safe and often

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”