sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Is the conshelf really gone? Maybe not...

Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:50 pm

scubapeter wrote:Northeastscubasupply.com. 100 bucks per stage. Hard to beat that...
That's a smoking deal! They must have sold out, they have two pages of Aqua Lung regs, but no Conshelf 14...

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/aqu ... red&page=1
scubapeter wrote:
slonda828 wrote:I thought the KB super flow had a higher rate spring, a larger diameter orifice, etc. like BT mentioned. You can bias those to free flow on purpose if I remember right. I'm not a hard had guy though. Andy on the forum (Superlite) would know more I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a couple of Kirby Morgan Superflow Second stages (plastic body). These have several turns of adjustment on the adjustment knob and can indeed be adjusted to a significant free flow. I
Thanks for clarifying. They look very much alike and I was under the impression that USD had a hand in designing the first superlight helmet or band mask. but again, I need to research and refresh my memory.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Master Diver
First Name: Kim

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:36 am

I dived the same Conshelf from 1976 to 2012. The only reason for not diving it now is that I now dive Double Hose. 8)
Kim,
Ocean Trekker, Dangerous When Wet.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:53 am

Sitkadiver

Search Conshelf their there

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:25 am

2THDIVR wrote:Sitkadiver

Search Conshelf their there

Thank You 2THDIVR, You were totally correct. I don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.

Also, I should add that dealing with Northeast Scuba Supply has been a real pleasure. I bought both a first and second stage Conshelf 14 and the 2nd e-mail I received was from John letting me know he had given me a partial refund on the shipping. I only paid 12 bucks for shipping and the reg made it all the way to Alaska in 3 days. Outstanding!

I will be diving this bad boy tomorrow...

This is how I dove my Conshelf 20 when I was working for the Sea Life.... Only three hoses and a basic harness. I was always happy with the 20, and not really sure why I sold it. But it feels good having one back in the stable - and this one has an additional lp port.

IP is rock steady at about 140.

Northeast Scuba Supply was selling the stages only, so it didn't come with a hose. I have tons, so that was no big deal. But this is what came in the box.

The regs were sold as surplus, but I'm thinking they were NOS or something, they look brand new inside and out.

I'll try to post some photo's after tomorrow's dive.

Thank again for the link, I am completely stoked that I was able to find that regulator at such a good price.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:54 pm

OK. Bad News.

After I put the reg together, I was in the garage and at some point was using it to fill up the kids football or something.

I moved on to another project and the kids took the air nozzle and began spraying each other with it until one of them pulled the entire tank, reg and harness setup off the bench and onto the floor! Yup, the whole thing fell onto the concrete and bent the yoke and first stage to the point that air free flowed out of the valve.

I feel like a complete ass. The tank was nearly empty, so luckily, none of the kids were threatened by a ruptured cylinder valve and the neighbor girl who was the air sprayer at the time walked away with all of her toes. But either way, I gave myself a few bad dreams over what could have happened.

Here is what the new Conshelf 14 looked like after the tumble:

About the only good news to report from this incident is that no one was injured and I have some 'new' spare parts for the 1st stage I replaced this on with.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:06 am

Glad everyone was ok. ..HP air is pretty scary. I don't think you will have any trouble finding another conshelf to work with. If you can't I'll see what i can scrouge up when I ship your new DSV when they are ready.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:02 pm

Bryan wrote:Glad everyone was ok. ..HP air is pretty scary. I don't think you will have any trouble finding another conshelf to work with. If you can't I'll see what i can scrouge up when I ship your new DSV when they are ready.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the offer Bryan. I already replaced the 1st stage. I dove the reg this last summer and it works well.

sitkadiver
Master Diver

Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:37 am

I was about to type a very long winded explanation of what happened to the band mask and the AGA and the comms box, but instead, I'll just let you know over the last two days, I've put 10 dives on my Conshelf 14 and it worked flawlessly. I dive it simple: 2nd stage, drysuit hose and SPG console. This has been my preferred set-up for SCUBA for many years.

These dives were a challenge for any regulator and if I was going to out breathe something, this would have done it: lugging chains and straps all over the bottom etc... All I can say is this reg is earning it's keep and I am very happy I bought it. I'm also thankful that VDH stocks the parts necessary to keep things working.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psMXbc2LaHQ[/video]

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:13 am

Go Conshelf! Must be something in the water these days as Conshelf stuff has been going out like crazy..

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:28 pm

Bryan wrote:Go Conshelf! Must be something in the water these days as Conshelf stuff has been going out like crazy..

Well, get more. I am trying to do my part and buy it all :lol: .

Maybe an upgrade second stage lever that has the little nylon bearing? Just a thought. Could use the same little bearings that are used on the HPV.

Probably nothing in the water, just all the guys are tired of putzing around with those silly 109s and want a real all metal regulator, maybe :mrgreen: .

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Keep buying! I put 3 more in the store and 2 went overnight. I cant believe the Supreme is still there considering its getting cold up north and it being one of the best cold water regulators ever.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”