Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Titan II

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Yep it unscrews. If it will not come off, soaking it in hot water will sometimes help. Before making assumptions on the condition of the first stage, you really should check the IP to see what it's doing. You should already have an IP gauge, you must have one to set up the first stage after you rebuild it. If you do not have an IP gauge or understand how to use one, that should be your first priority. Without one, maintenance of a first stage is pure guess work.
Herman

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:34 am

Herman, Yes, the hot water did the trick. I disassembled the regulator after carefully reviewing all the remarks in the posts and following the schematics. Now I have a few questions
1) I need a RAM HP Seat and see that VDH is out of stock. I guess I need to wait.
2) as an option, should I get a new HP valve assy. I did not see them in the VDH Store
3) What does the first stage retainer do? It looks to be in good shape but I see in reading the threads and schematics that there are some O RIngs. ? Can I just clean my existing one .
I will plan on ordering the MR12 kit for o rings and diaphragm.
5) I plan on setting the IP pressure according to the Trieste Spec's ,correct?
6) Where do I find the Mares Abyss diaphragm ?

Thanks
Reddiver

Thanks
Dave

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:42 pm

reddiver wrote:Herman, Yes, the hot water did the trick. I disassembled the regulator after carefully reviewing all the remarks in the posts and following the schematics. Now I have a few questions
1) I need a RAM HP Seat and see that VDH is out of stock. I guess I need to wait.
Yes although you may can get by with resurfacing the old one but in the end you will want to replace it
2) as an option, should I get a new HP valve assy. I did not see them in the VDH Store
HP assmebly? I assume you mean the part#11 (BS2141) that assembly is not available except maybe NOS which you would still need to rebuild so it's a waste unless you have a bad orifice in your existing one.
3) What does the first stage retainer do? It looks to be in good shape but I see in reading the threads and schematics that there are some O RIngs. ? Can I just clean my existing one. I will plan on ordering the MR12 kit for o rings and diaphragm.
That is the balance chamber of the reg. It contains an Oring that should (must IMO)be replaced. AMF intended for you to replace it as an assembly but new ones are no longer available and any NOS ones will have old orings in them, so getting a "new" one is not worth it unless someone has damaged the interior of it...which is a warning, be very careful when removing the oring. Scratching the interior of the retainer will make it useless and require replacement. If that oring is defective you will not have a stable IP. It can be a bugger to replace. Size wise it's a 006, same as in the Conshelf/Titan/RAM balance chamber ....which by the way serves the same purpose in those regs
That should be fine. Personally, I set all my regs to 1 IP (135) so all my second stages are easily interchangable without adjustment.
Mares Dealer, those are still available new .

Thanks
Reddiver

Thanks
Dave
Herman

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:42 pm

I used a new DA hp seat and bought a rebuilt balance chamber from another moderator on here. I switched it to the newer style higher pressure one with the white backup ring behind the orings but I'm not sure if the longer one was required for the new hp seat. Like Herman said, be very careful if you try replacing the oring in your hp balance chamber as you can almost scratch it with your finger nail. I almost trashed a good fifty fathom with my dental hook so I finally bought some brass picks from vdh. I also put a small scratch in my old balance chamber on my titan just seeing if I could replace the oring myself even though I was buying a rebuilt one. Don't know if it would leak never tried it. If your using more than two fingers with a steel hook you will probably scratch something. Then you will be like me standing at your lathe turning down a tool to polish out your scratched volcano orifice.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:39 pm

Herman wrote:
reddiver wrote:Herman, Yes, the hot water did the trick. I disassembled the regulator after carefully reviewing all the remarks in the posts and following the schematics. Now I have a few questions
Yes although you may can get by with resurfacing the old one but in the end you will want to replace it
HP assmebly? I assume you mean the part#11 (BS2141) that assembly is not available except maybe NOS which you would still need to rebuild so it's a waste unless you have a bad orifice in your existing one.
3) What does the first stage retainer do? It looks to be in good shape but I see in reading the threads and schematics that there are some O RIngs. ? Can I just clean my existing one. I will plan on ordering the MR12 kit for o rings and diaphragm.
That is the balance chamber of the reg. It contains an Oring that should (must IMO)be replaced. AMF intended for you to replace it as an assembly but new ones are no longer available and any NOS ones will have old orings in them, so getting a "new" one is not worth it unless someone has damaged the interior of it...which is a warning, be very careful when removing the oring. Scratching the interior of the retainer will make it useless and require replacement. If that oring is defective you will not have a stable IP. It can be a bugger to replace. Size wise it's a 006, same as in the Conshelf/Titan/RAM balance chamber ....which by the way serves the same purpose in those regs
That should be fine. Personally, I set all my regs to 1 IP (135) so all my second stages are easily interchangable without adjustment.
Mares Dealer, those are still available new .

Thanks
Reddiver

Thanks
Dave
With all due respect to Herman, I do not recommend attempting to reface the HP seat's surface. Unlike the USD DA and unbalanced single stage versions, the Voit single hose examples do not respond to this treatment. I have carried out experiments with such modifications, and the valve begins leaking within a relatively short time.

I agree with all of the remaining advice that Herman offered.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 am

I was unaware that they did not respond well,good info to know......I did say he "MIGHT" get away with it. :)
Another tempory source of the seats although possibly a little pricey is almost any AL kit from ebay. Legend, Conshelf, Titan, SEA and most other regs use the same HP seat and many of the other orings are useful. The Conshelf/Titan one would be best one since the filters are also the same. (#900001)
Herman

reddiver
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I did not realize I needed a new COnshelf pin for my new RAM HP Seat, but I just got it from VDH. The question is have is- Do I cut down the new pin so the length it protrudes from the new HP seat is the same length as the old pin in the old HP Seat . ALso, what is the bet way to cut the pin?
Thanks
Reddiver

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 pm

reddiver wrote:Thanks for all the advice. I did not realize I needed a new COnshelf pin for my new RAM HP Seat, but I just got it from VDH. The question is have is- Do I cut down the new pin so the length it protrudes from the new HP seat is the same length as the old pin in the old HP Seat . ALso, what is the bet way to cut the pin?
Thanks
Reddiver

That is one easy way to get the dimension. If the old one worked with that combined length, the new combination will also work.

There are many ways to cut it. I just use a set of heavy wire cutters to get close and then file down the rest to get at the exact length. Just file a little bit at a time.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Chris
Master Diver

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:27 pm

reddiver, this is how Greg told me to measure mine. I used the AL hp seat so I was able to use the original pin.
"The internal shelf of the AL seat is different from the original. Insert the pin into both seats and measure the OAL. They should be within 0.010" of each other. There is enough separation between the volcano orifice and the soft seat that the variation shouldn't be a problem. I have used many of the Voit pins with an OAL of 0.630" without any problems."
Again, I used the AL seat so yours may be different. The variation he mentioned was because my oal was longer by .025 if I remember right.
Just to be clear, when he said between both seats I understood him to mean insert the pin between the hp seat and the button that slips over the other end. Be patient with your file. I used to file valves in a small engine shop and I never found a way to stretch them back longer again.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:54 am

I was hoping to pick the brains of the people that helped me with my Titan rebuild.
This weekend I did my yearly cold water trip, 37-40 degree. On my first two dives I used my Oceanic CDX5 environmentally sealed first stage with oceanic NEO second. It worked flawless on both 60 foot dives. On Todays dive I dove double tanks each with its own regulators. One with the oceanic setup, the other with some scuba pro knock off first stage I found in someone’s back yard (literally), and my Swimaster Titan II second stage. I start with the swimaster saving the other tank with the “more trustworthy newer equipment”, incase the titan or nameless first stage has a problem. At 90 foot while deploying a float marker my partner shoves my oceanic NEO in my face to show me its free flowing. Tried putting it in my mouth, plugging the hole with my tongue, Breathing, nothing worked. Finally signaled dive partner to shut off the tank to let it thaw. Throughout the dive while breathing off the other tank with the Titan II, still working flawless, I would try turning the other tank back on but the reg would just free flow and either stick or ice soon as I ran some air through the second stage. Back on the surface it worked fine. Thoughts????? Did having it sit at my side in 40 degree water not being used do something since it worked the day before as my primary on a single tank dive. This is also the first year I have left my double hose at home :(

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:54 am

If your reserve seat has already crumbled, there may be some pieces lodged in air passages. Be diligent about cleaning all passages out.
If it hasn't crumbled, it will... so get rid of it.

If you prefer to totally remove the reserve mechanism I have some original equipment plugs to replace that with, but you still need the washer that goes under it to seal it to the body.
The older I get the better I was.

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:47 pm

The one with the problem was the Oceanic equipment. And yes, I removed the reserve seat on the titan.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:52 pm

tripplec wrote:The one with the problem was the Oceanic equipment. And yes, I removed the reserve seat on the titan.
Oops, I didn't see the Oceanic post... I was still referring just to the Titan first stage reserve and a situation I had with debris.
The older I get the better I was.

Chris
Master Diver

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:15 pm

I posted this problem in its own post, so please don't respond to the oceanic in this post.

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:26 am

Reddiver, how did your titan rebuild turn out? I like the looks of the mr12, but I have only used it a couple times. I really like the swimmaster titan II second stage, though. It was my favorite single stage until I got my 109. But the titan is still my favorite single hose in looks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”