ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Conshelf 20 question(s)

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:14 pm

I acquired this reg from a friend who retired from diving. He bought it then never used it. Anyway, I see the 1st stage is a regular old Conshelf 1st. The 2nd stage appears a tad different than the old 1085's. Didn't see a parts diagram in the manuals & catalogs section. Anything special I need to know before tearing into the 2nd stage or is it just a fancy new cover? Thanks. Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Conshelf 20 question(s)

Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:38 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:14 pm
I acquired this reg from a friend who retired from diving. He bought it then never used it. Anyway, I see the 1st stage is a regular old Conshelf 1st. The 2nd stage appears a tad different than the old 1085's. Didn't see a parts diagram in the manuals & catalogs section. Anything special I need to know before tearing into the 2nd stage or is it just a fancy new cover? Thanks. Mark

You won't have any trouble recognizing the insides. Now, what are your other 19 questions?
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Bill, Bill, Bill, ah but for the want of a comma would my thoughts be clear to the masses... :)

M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Ok, so what is this "Torque 5-8 in-lbs" thingy?  Did they plan on adding an adjustment knob like a SP109?

antique diver
Master Diver

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:21 pm

It's a useful port for adjustments, allowing a screwdriver to access the stem while you turn the nut with a small wrench from usual position. Or if that model has a square stem and doesn't need the screwdriver slot, then you may be able to put a very small socket through there. I think there is a tool made for that.

The plugs break really easily, so believe the bit about just a few "inch-pounds" of torque!

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:23 pm

It is to access the adjustment nut with the diaphragm in place. It makes adjusting the lever height much easier.

There is a special tool with a screwdriver inside a nut driver that makes this adjustment super easy. Aqua Lung and Scuba-Tools have made the tool for years and now Herman makes a similar tool for a lot more reasonable price (the other ones priced it specifically for the Scuba industry).

The newest Conshelf XIV (sold to commercial divers and military only) also has this port. That would make a super sweet second stage.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:25 pm

Bill types faster than I do.

Herman also makes a replacement plug for when you break that one. :shock:

Here is the tool from Scuba Tools. I have one of this that I purchased before Herman made his. I actually like Herman's tool better and they are a lot more reasonable. I actually use the sane tool to adjust the lever height on the HPR/ Argonaut second stage.

I have purchase a couple of the tools from Herman and I keep one on my work bench and the other one in my travel tool kit.

I can't find a picture of the tool Herman makes, but I see that you found it.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:30 pm

I think I got this one from Herman. Should work.

James
Lung Diver
First Name: James

Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:35 pm

One other thing to watch for on the second stage is cracks around the inlet fitting. The first generation of Conshelf plastic seconds is notorious for that. There is a metal insert that the inlet fitting threads into, and the reg body plastic around that insert will crack axially. Some people have those reg bodies with no problems... I've had a half dozen or so on Ebay regs, and only one wasn't cracked.
Just an area to keep an eye on.
Respectfully,
James

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:44 am

Yea, that's the tool. Like others have said, that plug is EASY to break, be careful with it. I do have replacements for it or a standard 1/2 port plug will work. I have see the cracked inlet ports and I have also had a couple that the venturi vane come loose (unglued/welded or whatever sticks it on).
Herman

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:32 pm

I know others have said it but watch for cracks on the second stage case. I had one I got in a lot of gear that had a hairline crack and it leaked water in when I used it. Also second Herman's point about metal port plug. Just don't overrighten it. Rumor control says USD got rid of that case for the "Conshelf SE" style one because it kept cracking which is why you don't see a ton of these. That and the front cover sucks because it doesn't block current worth of darn and when you dive this type of second stage up in the sound it bubbles all the time.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:05 pm

Ok, another question. When I disassembled the Conshelf 20 2nd stage I can't recall if there was a spacer between the nut and the lever base. I seem to remember one (and it looks like there was one in the photo earlier in this thread) but I can't find it in the container I put all the parts into. Did this model not have a spacer, or did I just lose it? If it needs one, anyone have an extra spacer? Don't see any in the VDH catalog.

Thanks,

Mark

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:58 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Ok, another question. When I disassembled the Conshelf 20 2nd stage I can't recall if there was a spacer between the nut and the lever base. I seem to remember one (and it looks like there was one in the photo earlier in this thread) but I can't find it in the container I put all the parts into. Did this model not have a spacer, or did I just lose it? If it needs one, anyone have an extra spacer? Don't see any in the VDH catalog.

Thanks,

Mark
I'm sending you the required spacer, but being only a part-time nice guy, I'm going to leave it up to you to determine where it goes. 8)

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:42 pm

antique diver wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:58 pm
ScubaLawyer wrote:

Thanks,

Mark
I'm sending you the required spacer, but being only a part-time nice guy, I'm going to leave it up to you to determine where it goes. 8)
Bill, thank you. I shall insert it into the proper place. :)

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Any updates on the adjustments? In water photos?

I dove a Conshelf 20 for YEARS! Scratched it, beat it up and it kept on working. Only free-flowed once, while filling lift bags in slush ice... Anyway, I keep looking for another, but people hold onto to those for good reason.

Congrats on the regulator and hope have lots of good dives.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”