Scubamook
First Name: Michael

Scubapro 109 stuck volcan orifice

Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:40 pm

How can I loosen a stuck volcano orifice?
I soaked it overnight… still stuck.

Michael

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Scubapro 109 stuck volcan orifice

Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:23 am

Are you trying to turn it with a good fitting screw driver (or the Scubapro specific tool)? Don't try to turn it if you do not have a screw driver that fits well in the slot.

What did you use to soak? All the rubber components can be removed, so you can use penetrating oils.

You can put it in the freezer for a few hours and then just heat the barrel carefully around where the orifice is located.

I am assuming this is a metal orifice. Non of this applies with the plastic orifice, but the plastic orifice should not be stuck either.

The O-ring needs to be replaced so using penetrating oil is OK. Just make sure to clean everything afterwards. And you are going to want to remove all rubber parts, including exhaust valve and mouthpiece.

Good luck
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:46 am

Luis has given you great advice. I’ll add one more piece in an effort to help avoid damaging the delicate sharp edge of the orifice. After using the proper fitting tool to unscrew the orifice from the tube’s internal threads, you will most likely feel it stop with no further progress. This is due to the o-ring typically being a rather tight fit. Carefully take a sharpened wooden pencil (#2 size) and insert the sharpened end so that it protrudes from the opposite side of the volcano orifice. Then, push the pencil’s eraser end on a firm surface to remove the part. Never use a hard object, or you will almost certainly damage the sharp edge.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:31 am

keep in mind, if using oil, you need to put it in from the adjustment knob side as the o-ring on the orifice will be sealing the thread cavity.

I have had success using CLR in the soak of parts to loosen them up.

I'm going to speculate you have a seriously corroded orifice, and likely will be replacing it.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

couv
Master Diver

Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:40 am

Great advice above...but if none of it brings any joy then a new orifice https://vintagedoublehose.com/store/#!/ ... p/75284295 and an Easyout screw extractor is the answer.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Scubamook
First Name: Michael

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:22 pm

Thanks for the responses
1st I’ll get a screwdriver that fits

Thanks
Michael

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:42 pm

One other thing to try. Instead of trying to remove the orifice, turn it IN instead. If it moves just a little, great, then try out. Often times a screw will go in but not go out, by rocking it in and out, it will often times break free. With each rock in and out it will usually move farther until it eventually comes free. And once you get a proper fitting screw driver, put it in and give it a good sharp wrap with something (hammer handle for example) this will often break free any crud.
Herman

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”