Forum rules
Regulator specific information can also be found on the main page of the website in the Regulator Id Guide.
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

High Pressure Cylinders / Yokes / High Pressure Seats

Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:36 pm

1. The US Navy used double hose regulators with 3000 psi cylinders from day one.

2. Using regulators on high pressure cylinders MAY cause your high pressure seat to wear more quickly. (I have been using my current regulator for the past 5 years on 3000 and 3400 psi cylinders and have no abnormal wear on the seat. Your results may vary)

3. The Navy regulators had standard yokes on them while being used with 3000 psi cylinders.

4. Non balanced regulators like the DA / Voit 50 Fathom and single stage regulators breathe harder initially on high pressure cylinders until the cylinder pressure drops to 2250 and below.

5. The most obvious failure point concerning the yoke/valve/pressure scenario is from the O-ring extruding and letting air escape.

6. Valves (or yoke adapter inserts) with the small diameter o-ring place less force on the yoke than valves with the larger fatter O-rings so are preferred at higher pressures.

7. It is the individual divers choice as to what cylinder pressure they choose to use with their equipment.

If you would like to add to this post please E-mail me. All thoughts are welcome.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Technical Information / Diver Training Information”