polestar
First Name: Willis

Hollis BOV Used With Argonaut Kraken Hoses

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 pm

<t>If I were to buy the Hollis BOV pod, would my Argonaut Kraken hoses (minus the mouthpiece) attach or mount to this device? That is, would they be the same diameter? I believe the Hollis BOV is designed to be used with a Hollis rebreather. I am interested in buying the Kirby Morgan MOD-1 full face mask with the standard regulator pod for cold water diving. But I am curious if used with the BOV pod, my Argonaut Kraken double hose regulator could be used in this full face mask set up.<br/>
I also noticed that the OTS Guardian has an attachment for use with a rebreather. I contacted OTS, and their rebreather tech recommended against using a double hose regulator with their system because he said that there would be no way to clear the regulator if it flooded.<br/>
However, the Hollis BOV has a smaller second stage that is also a part of the unit which allows a diver to switch from a rebreather to scuba.<br/>
I notice the Argonaut Kraken mouthpiece has the words stamped into it: "Not For Rebreather Use." I also notice that the diameter of the Argonaut Kraken hoses that connect to the Argonaut Kraken mouthpiece are a larger diameter hoses than the hoses on my Royal Aqua Master's mouthpiece.</t>

tbone1004
Master Diver
First Name: Tom

Re: Hollis BOV Used With Argonaut Kraken Hoses

Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 am

of all the things in that post, I'm actually shocked that the guy at OTS knew that you couldn't easily clear a double hose.
The kraken dsv has not for rebreather use on it as a CYOA per the legal beagles, but I know of at least one CCR diver who is using it on a rebreather.

anyway, the technical bits.
The Argonaut DSV and loop hoses are 1.5" diameter. 40mm diameter is the "Standard" loop hose size and while that is technically 1.57" if you do a straight conversion, it's still called out at 1.5" and with a bit of dawn dish soap, they slide right on with no problem. Hollis uses 40mm loop hoses so you won't have a fitment problem. Whether it works well or not is a different discussion, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:55 pm

polestar wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 pm
<t>If I were to buy the Hollis BOV pod, would my Argonaut Kraken hoses (minus the mouthpiece) attach or mount to this device? That is, would they be the same diameter? I believe the Hollis BOV is designed to be used with a Hollis rebreather. I am interested in buying the Kirby Morgan MOD-1 full face mask with the standard regulator pod for cold water diving. But I am curious if used with the BOV pod, my Argonaut Kraken double hose regulator could be used in this full face mask set up.<br/>
I also noticed that the OTS Guardian has an attachment for use with a rebreather. I contacted OTS, and their rebreather tech recommended against using a double hose regulator with their system because he said that there would be no way to clear the regulator if it flooded.<br/>
However, the Hollis BOV has a smaller second stage that is also a part of the unit which allows a diver to switch from a rebreather to scuba.<br/>
I notice the Argonaut Kraken mouthpiece has the words stamped into it: "Not For Rebreather Use." I also notice that the diameter of the Argonaut Kraken hoses that connect to the Argonaut Kraken mouthpiece are a larger diameter hoses than the hoses on my Royal Aqua Master's mouthpiece.</t>
Hi Polestar! Welcome to the forum! No offense is intended by the following and your question is a good one. All I can add is that the ONLY mouthpieces I am aware of that have been extensively tested by VDH on the Kraken are the original USD-type curved mouthpieces and the VDH DSV mouthpiece. Whether your proposed BOV will work on a Kraken and/or in a full face mask configuration is wholly unknown, and any such unauthorized modifications to the Kraken would be entirely your assumption of the risk of injury or death.

I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer, but a lot of engineering and testing went into the Kraken and unproven modifications may or may not work so even if the use of a BOV appears to be plausable, you are entering an unknown realm and do so at your own risk should you choose to proceed. My 2 psi.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

polestar
First Name: Willis

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Thank you all for the feedback; it is important information to consider. If I do buy a Kirby Morgan MOD-1 with a Hollis BOV in the future, I will give an update.
The only full-face mask I have used for diving under the ice with a US Divers DA Aqua Master, was an older style designed for two-hose usage. The mouth pocket was separate from the mask pocket. I was diving the wreck the Lady of the Lake on Lake Winnipesaukee. I had swam the entire length of the Lady from the bow to the fantail, which is 125-feet long in 30-feet of water. We had cut our hole at the bow instead of the mid section because we were lining up with three objects on land to find the wreck for that dive.
I have also dove a DW-Mistral and my favorite the US Divers Royal Aqua Master under the ice.
I have done many dives under the ice with a Cressi Sub full face mask and a Sherwood Magnum Blizzard
I have not taken a Kraken under the ice yet. The thought of a full-face mask with it seems interesting. I would need a lot of practice with such a system to build my comfort level and understand a contingency plan I could carry out.
I have dove a number of full-face masks and have always practiced donning and doffing in a pool at the YMCA when our scuba club rents it for scuba usage.
Since I started ice diving in the middle 80's, I have seen many divers' regulators freeze or violently free flow with any number of type of regulators. Only my Sherwood Magnum Blizzard and my antique, rebuilt, two hose regulators have begun and finished the dive.
Being prepared for contingencies and communicating with the surface line tenders is extremely important. I never recommend ice diving or full face mask or two-hose or dry suit to anyone. It is a personal choice.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Add a Snorkelator to your BOV...
- I went looking for the Hollis website to find out what a "BOV" is (Bail Out Valve). There's a photo of the Hollis rebreather 2-hose mouthpiece with the DSV on/off lever and under that is the front side of a single hose regulator which is connected to the bail out Scuba system.
- The thought occurred to me about stacking various systems onto the BOV mouthpiece and I thought of the "Snorkelator". Its a snorkel that attaches to your regulator mouthpiece and has a switch to change from scuba air to snorkel air. Its probably a silly idea but certainly might be workable. On the other hand, it might be a good tongue in cheek joke to show up with a Snorkelator on your Hollis and shock your rebreather buddies. :)

https://www.ssishoppingcart.com/Easy-Dive_c_21.html
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

BigSwell
Master Diver
First Name: Kevin

Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:32 pm

I'm a rebreather diver, you don't want or need a BOV. Jaw fatigue, annual OH costs and more... just not worth the hassle. Why do you want one, or a Kirby (I dive it as well?)

KISS is the best motto with OC, and I'm not talking about a KISS rebreather.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Just back from DEMA after a relaxing time at the Rainbow River house.....I cannot tell you how many rebreather mouthpieces and BOVs we looked at.

1st. I'm NOT A REBREATHER DIVER.....I DON'T KNOW JACK RABBIT about all the inner workings of them. NOR DO I WANT TO.
2nd. NO VDH PRODUCT WAS NOR EVER WILL BE MADE FOR REBREATHER APPLICATIONS.
With that said I do not understand how in a high stress environment that they might find themselves in with crazy amounts of task loading how in the world they would ever manipulate some of the stuff we saw that sticks in a divers mouth and allows gas to come though????? Obviously way beyond my Hillbilly abilities as a diver.

Luis took and refined many times the idea Tom and I had with multiple pieces of mouthpieces and PVC pipe and despite a working prototype he refined it even further. Several times he shot down in flames what I thought would be the most simple, easy and low profile DSV we could put on the Kraken and still make it an affordable feature. ( I wanted desperately to copy the DRAGER....Luis ignored or deleted those emails without reading I'm sure)
It came down to KISS with the Argonaut DSV.....It's a simple movement that most everyone knows or can easily become accustomed to. As I explained it in the video....Throttle ON......Throttle OFF. With the DSV in your mouth, twist either hose all the way forward away from you till it stops for SHUT or all the way towards you for fully open. Just like a motorcycle throttle or other stuff with a twist type throttle.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “General Discussions”