ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

An interesting story (at least to me)

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:14 pm

I was at a birthday dinner last night for my 96 year old mother and was sitting across from my aunt. My aunt used to dive (in fact I certified her and my uncle many moons ago). Her husband, my uncle - mom’s brother, passed away a few years ago. Anyway, she asked me what I was up to these days and I told her about the Sea Hunt Forever event in Silver Springs. She then related the following story.

By way of background, my uncle hand-built a 60 foot powered catamaran back in the 80's. I watched him build it from the keels down (he built the hulls upside down). See photo below. It was a very unique boat and was prominently featured in several yachting magazines at the time. My aunt and uncle were on board on a trip up through the Canadian Gulf Islands in British Columbia in the early 90's. They were anchored in a little out-of-the way cove getting ready for lunch and doing some fishing.

All of the sudden a small sea plane buzzed them, landed, and taxied over to their boat. Out steps Lloyd Bridges, tells my aunt and uncle he saw their boat from the air, recognized it, and asks if he can have a tour. Now my uncle was used to being around famous people, my aunt not so much. She said she was so star-struck she had a hard time articulating a proper sentence. Anyway, they invited Lloyd and his pilot to stay for lunch, do some fishing, etc... He did! They had a great afternoon together. Then Lloyd got back in his sea plane and flew off to some resort he was headed to. One of those stories no one would ever hear about otherwise.

Mark

"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: An interesting story (at least to me)

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:14 pm

Really interesting boat and story. Way cool! :D

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:53 pm

That is a fantastic looking boat Mark! Thanks for sharing. Mike

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You are never too old to start a new hobby.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Very interesting boat. And very cool story.

Thanks
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:27 pm

All I can say is pretty much everyone else's thoughts. Wow, what a fine looking boat, and a great story to go along with it. Tell us more about the boat!
The older I get the better I was.

crimediver
Master Diver

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:46 pm

That was a great story. it makes you wonder of all the other stories people have that no one hears about that are lost when those involved pass on. I remember one time my father brought home the old actor Pat O'Brien home to meet my mother. That was a big thrill for her as he was a well-known star from her generation. I was not that impressed as I did not really know who he was but it was a big deal for my mother. Your story jogged my memory about that and I had about forgotten it. But I would have really been thrilled if my dad had brought home Lloyd Bridges instead of Pat O'Brien.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 am

antique diver wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:27 pm
All I can say is pretty much everyone else's thoughts. Wow, what a fine looking boat, and a great story to go along with it. Tell us more about the boat!
Building the boat took my uncle 4 years. He paid an Australian marine architect a lot of $ to draw up the original plans. By the time he was done modeling and testing those models he had pretty much redrawn those original plans so they became unrecognizable.

One of the original models.

Taking the boat from the warehouse where it was built, down the street to launch for the first time at 3 a.m.

First sea trials.

The boat is extremely stable. It likes a following sea as opposed to slogging into a swell, but does just fine.  I suggested putting the dive lockers to hold tanks and gear just inboard of the aft stairs so it would be easy to access, and that is where they went. The interior is all Hawaiian Koa wood. I spent many happy hours watching the boat building/design process and learned a lot. M

P.S. The boat is now for sale so anyone interested speak up :) See link below for all the specs.

http://www.boatersresources.com/bfs_det ... did=447921
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 am

Way Cool Boat! And a wonderful story. :D
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 am

Your uncle was Hobie Alter.
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am

Yeah, I was thinking your uncle wasn't just your average back yard boat builder, then I read your link to boat specs and saw his name. You have an interesting family. :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 am

captain wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 am
Your uncle was Hobie Alter.
Yup, Uncle Hobie. My mom's brother. The Boat is named "Katie Sue." Katie was Hobie's mother (my grandmother). Sue, my aunt, is (was) Hobie's last wife (long story). I certified Hobie as a NAUI diver and he taught me how to surf and sail. He was always bringing famous people by the house (Hollywood and Sports types) as they all wanted to hang out with the cool surfer dude (Hobie, not me. :))

M

P.S. Wife #3 or #4 was Miss Hawaii and we had one hell of a wedding party at Iolani Palace on Oahu and a bachelor party to end all bachelor parties at the Outrigger Canoe Club.

antique diver
Master Diver

Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Seems like being a "cool surfer dude" may have been a lot more fun than being a landlocked dive shop owner. :? I wonder if it's too late to take surfing lessons?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:07 pm

As long as we are talking about boats... :D

Better view of topsides that I took on a 2007 trip to Puget Sound, WA.

The boat on the right is a 53 foot Prima twin diesel that I had chartered as a bareboat for that trip (right after receiving my Captain's 6-Pack license). It was just me, my wife and son (age 3 at the time). That was a blast diving out-of-the way spots. That's Hobie on his dock on Orcas Island.

Yours truly skippering through the San Juans and Canadian Gulf Islands.

M

Return to “General Discussions”