kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Modern Scubapro

Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:38 pm

I picked up a nice MK20 at a yard sale and was wondering if it had an upgrade kit that made it similar to an MK25. I checked and it already had the saddle upgrade that was the cause of the recall.

couv
Master Diver

Re: Modern Scubapro

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi KW,

Good to hear you got a good deal, but please be aware that the saddle is NOT the upgrade. The upgrade is actually a new yoke retainer that is designed to withstand more abuse from hamhanded techs. Actually, the new yoke retainer is designed to help prevent damage to the body by a hamhaded tech. See the SP Bulletin "MK20/25 Yoke/Knob Retainer" and compare the retainer on your new toy to the pictures. The saddle was included in the kit to be installed as an indicator that the modification was done, however some unknowing techs replaced the saddle only. Either way, it is no big deal as long as the yoke retainer has not been over-torqued.

Couv
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:45 pm

OK I just read that you could tell if the upgrade was done by the number of vents.

I saw on another forum that you could get the ability to adjust IP externally like the 25 with another upgrade.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Yes, the 20 became the 25, all the same parts, but with an externally adjustable seat retainer being the change. May will say the cost is not justified, but if I could get my hands on the kits, I'd likely do it (withing reasonable cost). I've got 4 MK-20's.

The bigger "upgrade" of the 25 is the composite piston as the others were quirky with mushy lock-up. Those are worthwhile, and to me, a no-brainer.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”