ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Rebuilding Sportsways SK2 manifold -need seat

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi all,

I'm rebuilding a 1/2" straight thread o-ring sealed Sportsways manifold. Looks like I need a new seat. My manifold is the "K" version without reserve but the following diagram illustrates what I'm looking for (even though it is for the 3/4 version). Apparently the USD seats are not a match. Sportsways calls then a #10 shut-off unit. Any laying around out there?

Thanks, Mark.
SK2a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Rebuilding Sportsways SK2 manifold -need seat

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:18 pm

If you have the one that WAS in it, just smooth off the seat. I use a drill press and a series of finer and finer sand paper.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:37 pm

simonbeans wrote:If you have the one that WAS in it, just smooth off the seat. I use a drill press and a series of finer and finer sand paper.
Hi Alan, thanks for the advice. My problem is that the inner rubber/plastic/kryptonite or whatever that stuff is is just basically gone. Almost looks like someone tried to dig it out with an ice pick.

Anyone know if any other manufactures used similar seats?
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:45 am

If you can find a Sportways tank valve, you could salvage one out of it since they seem to be using the same one across the line (looked at the manual I have) . If you don't find one, shoot me a PM.
Herman

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:41 pm

I think the HP seats are nylon, you could try fabricating one from this.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#8502k42/=17wrk1v
Captain

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can scrounge up an old Sportsways valve first. Barring that I'll look into Captain's suggestion. Mark

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:10 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can scrounge up an old Sportsways valve first. Barring that I'll look into Captain's suggestion. Mark
Ask Rob to look in his mound of treasures....I'll bet he has an old sportsways valve somewhere.... Also, and I'm not volunteering for him but Herman might have some nylon rod stock that a seat could be made from....Might save you buying a whole stick from McMaster Carr.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Bryan wrote:Ask Rob to look in his mound of treasures....I'll bet he has an old sportsways valve somewhere....
Rob?

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi Mark, I just opened up a Sportsways 1/2" NPT threaded valve to check out the seat design. The USD seat has the same threads, and while the end holding the seat is smaller in diameter than the SW the diameter of the valve's volcano orifice fits into the USD seat tip just fine. I haven't tried it under pressure yet, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't work ok. :)
The older I get the better I was.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:23 pm

antique diver wrote:Hi Mark, I just opened up a Sportsways 1/2" NPT threaded valve to check out the seat design. The USD seat has the same threads, and while the end holding the seat is smaller in diameter than the SW the diameter of the valve's volcano orifice fits into the USD seat tip just fine. I haven't tried it under pressure yet, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't work ok. :)
Bill, might just work. Can I get you to come over and block the manifold with your face while I pressure test it? :D just kidding, I'll find a neighborhood kid to do it. :shock: I'll have to take my seat out again. When I compared it to a USD seat the length and thread size looked different but it might just be my old man eyes. I'll look again. Thanks for the idea. Mark

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:28 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
antique diver wrote:Hi Mark, I just opened up a Sportsways 1/2" NPT threaded valve to check out the seat design. The USD seat has the same threads, and while the end holding the seat is smaller in diameter than the SW the diameter of the valve's volcano orifice fits into the USD seat tip just fine. I haven't tried it under pressure yet, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't work ok. :)
Bill, might just work. Can I get you to come over and block the manifold with your face while I pressure test it? :D just kidding, I'll find a neighborhood kid to do it. :shock: I'll have to take my seat out again. When I compared it to a USD seat the length and thread size looked different but it might just be my old man eyes. I'll look again. Thanks for the idea. Mark
There may have been more than one design of seats in those valves, but usually a company sticks with stuff if it works (or until they can find it cheaper from another supplier). The SW seat is only about 0.0015" longer than the USD one I have, and the thread are same diameter and pitch. I think it will work, but I would not aim it a neighborhood kid during trials. Well, I did have a neighbor once that could have been improved by a projectile in the forehead. :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:34 am

Mark, a quick and easy way to see if the threads are the same pitch is to simply put the 2 threads together. If they are the same , they will mesh easily and tightly together, something like gears do. Not a prefect method but works well and is easy.
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:36 am

HI Herman,

The threads do appear identical. As previously mentioned the SW seat is wider than the USD seat at the working end. But the volcano orifice on the SW valve seems higher and wider than the one on the USD manifold. Anyway, I plan on doing some empirical testing. We will see
Mark

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Don't forget to check with SeaHunt Jerry. I got ripped off on a Sportsways valve from Ebay that had the seat missing. Jerry got me one super quick. (I should have just got the valve from him in the first place). :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:20 pm

SurfLung wrote:Don't forget to check with SeaHunt Jerry. I got ripped off on a Sportsways valve from Ebay that had the seat missing. Jerry got me one super quick. (I should have just got the valve from him in the first place). :)
Jerry? Any extra Sportsways valves laying around? Moo. Mark.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”