DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Re: UDS 1 rebuild project.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Still haven't gotten that micrometer :x

Some updates on the project:
The clamshell had more than a few cracks in it like these:

So I spent some time rewelding things and reenforcing areas where I suspected further cracks would develop. This pic shows most of the different things I did in one area (ABS reenforcment around handles and top edge, reenforcing ABS chips around rivots, flexible epoxy and washers/fiberglass mesh around holes). I can see I need to buff out some drips from the solvent that I hadn't noticed before though. I debated doing this work as it alters the original clamshell but a more busted unit isn't worth much anyways and all the repairs are hidden once the tanks are in place:

With help from John R. and Bill T. (and a filler hose, thanks a bunch Bill!) I was able to figure out how things went together:

Here is a poor shot of the knurled fitting that holds the filler hose in place. I added a rubber washer and locking nut on the right. The threaded stud on the left runs into the filler block:
Back together one can see how the filler block and LP block sit. Once unscrewed, the filler block can be pulled out about 6" (that's what she said):

And sitting on the shelf waiting for the next phase, recreating the harness assembly.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:33 pm

Dale, good job on the repairs - that is looking great. If you are going to fill it and use it, you are probably still going to need some type of check valve in the fill line that was missing from the hp hose I sent. I have some ideas for adding a valve and have been collecting parts, so when you get ready to make it diveable I would be glad to help if you need it.
The older I get the better I was.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:24 am

Looking good Dale! :D How exactly did you do the reinforcing bits again?

USdiver
Master Diver

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:34 am

I'm envious Dale. That is one sharp UDS-1. Hope to see some pics of you diving it in the not too distant future. Awesome rig.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

DaleC
Master Diver

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks all.
The cracks were initially solvent welded using methylene chloride and some large divots were filled with melted ABS shavings. I "colour matched" the clamshell to some yellow Lego pieces my son had and then drilled those pieces. The shavings produced were easily melted with solvent into a goop that could be spread in the divots.

Around the bolt and other access holes I spread a flexible epoxy (the clamshell moves a bit) and either set washers or fiberglass cloth.

Around the handle and the top edge I added more ABS. That's where a lot of the cracks were. I couldn't find yellow so I bought a sheet of black and cut, shaped and solvent welded it into shape. A hair dryer worked well for thermal shaping. A final smoothing with the dremel took off the rough edges.

NAVED #203

DaleC
Master Diver

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Time creeps by...
Sunday was a good day for my UDS-1 as I finally spotted the right kind of harness at the local flea market. Except for a period correct SPG (easy enough to find, I just haven't looked too hard) I think have the complete rig, along with a 1975 USD catalog that featured a two page spread on it (thanks to Antique Diver and Rob 1969).

Happy happy.
NAVED #203

Drado
Master Diver

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:10 am

Quick question: I've got a harness like that with those buckles. What's the correct way to thread them? I have mine threaded that way as in the photo, but it sometimes slips.

DaleC
Master Diver

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:47 am

I don't know myself Ed, perhaps someone else who used them "in the day" will comment.
NAVED #203

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:13 am

Drado wrote:Quick question: I've got a harness like that with those buckles. What's the correct way to thread them? I have mine threaded that way as in the photo, but it sometimes slips.
That looks like the way I always used those buckles. I don't recall having much trouble with slipping, but the webbing is a little too soft, letting the straps twist too easily during donning.

antique diver
Master Diver

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:05 am

antique diver wrote:
Drado wrote:Quick question: I've got a harness like that with those buckles. What's the correct way to thread them? I have mine threaded that way as in the photo, but it sometimes slips.
That looks like the way I always used those buckles. I don't recall having much trouble with slipping, but the webbing is a little too soft, letting the straps twist too easily during donning.
Correction to my last post :

Now that I had my morning coffee, I remember that there were two versions of similar webbing used on the USD backpacs. The first version did have a problem with slippage. I really liked the concept of the easily adjustable shoulder straps, but was disappointed with the performance. It was soon corrected with slightly heavier webbing that looked almost the same, but also had a little different weave. Problem was solved as I recall... but sometimes I don't remember that I am forgetful. :? Well, that was nearly 40 years ago.

Drado
Master Diver

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm

You might be on to something... I think the weave on mine looks a bit finer than Dale's. I'll see if I can post a photo later.

Diverdon
Diver
First Name: Don

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:54 am

Drado wrote:You might be on to something... I think the weave on mine looks a bit finer than Dale's. I'll see if I can post a photo later.
How much later?

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Thu May 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Alan is currently make me a new harness system for my UDS-1. My straps slip on my UDS-1 right now. I'm having Alan add a chest strap too. Pics to follow when I get everything mounted.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Fri May 26, 2017 10:54 am

There are two versions of that black nylon webbing with the yellow stripe. One is very limp and thin. The other is thicker and stiffer... almost like canvas. I use some of the thicker stuff for my weight belt. But the thinner stuff has not worked out when I tried to use it for various tank harnesses. It's just too thin and limp. I really like those D-Ring style shoulder buckles though... I've used them on my homemade cotton harnesses.

Here's a possible source... I think its the thin stuff:
https://www.strapworks.com/High_Tenacit ... p/htp2.htm

The description says "coarser weave grabs better in buckles". I just ordered 30 feet of it at .45 a foot!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

antique diver
Master Diver

Fri May 26, 2017 9:09 pm

DaleC wrote:Time creeps by...
Sunday was a good day for my UDS-1 as I finally spotted the right kind of harness at the local flea market. Except for a period correct SPG (easy enough to find, I just haven't looked too hard) I think have the complete rig, along with a 1975 USD catalog that featured a two page spread on it (thanks to Antique Diver and Rob 1969).

Happy happy.
You have probably found your gauge by now, but if not, let me know. I have been digging through my old boxes of Scuba goodies, and have a couple of possibilities.

I also have a complete UDS case with harness, the complete manifold assembly and just about everything but the cylinders. I kept hoping to put this thing back together, but have too much stuff and too little room for all my "treasures". Have lot's of stuff to sell.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”