CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver
First Name: Cletus

Re: Pulled the trigger!

Sat May 13, 2017 10:37 am

tripplec wrote:
CAP2ND1961 wrote:Hello everyone,

I just ordered a Argonaut Kraken reg, and the VDH custom backplate. I cant wait to use it! Having the bubbles come out the back is going to be a major plus for video and camera work. Plus it is really a cool looking regulator to boot. SEA HUNT is ON! Ive never dove a double hose, so I have been reading up on techniques and placement. I plan on practicing with it at the pool before I go out to open water environment. My first cert was in 1979 and I am currently working on my DM to possibly instructor. So I get weekly pool time with my LDS which is a plus. I guess the main skill is clearing the reg. I think I read that is best to tilt you head to the left/exhaust side for easy clearing? Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers~ Clete
Is your lds more open minded about double hosing than they are on the west coast? Our dh's aren't welcome in the pool when students are anear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
I'm lucky I got a good group to dive with. Darrell Louder is the shop owner and is very old school, and knows how to work on all types of regs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat May 13, 2017 11:15 am

It's good that your shop respects to old school ways but remember that many of these folks have never actually dove a DH reg or if they did, it was long ago and likely in poor shape. The AK can hold its own with ( and often times beat) any modern regulator.
That said, All of us at one time or another have run into a know it all DM or freshly minted instructor that "knows all" and will quickly tell you how dangerous these regs are. The best thing you can do is smile and then show them what a good diver actually looks like, almost every old school DH diver I have had the pleasure of diving with has superb buoyancy control. Make that your goal as well.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat May 13, 2017 11:44 am

Herman wrote:It's good that your shop respects to old school ways but remember that many of these folks have never actually dove a DH reg or if they did, it was long ago and likely in poor shape. The AK can hold its own with ( and often times beat) any modern regulator.
That said, All of us at one time or another have run into a know it all DM or freshly minted instructor that "knows all" and will quickly tell you how dangerous these regs are. The best thing you can do is smile and then show them what a good diver actually looks like, almost every old school DH diver I have had the pleasure of diving with has superb buoyancy control. Make that your goal as well.
Well said Herman!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Sat May 13, 2017 11:51 am

I think you'll like diving DH. I've put over 200 dives on my Phoenix since Bryan installed it a phew years back. Your right about the bubbles. Having them go past my ears on a SH almost hurts my ear drum for some reason. And there is nothing more annoying than lining your spear up on a nice fish and all the sudden your looking through a wall of bubbles. I also like the handling. Not super duper breathing, but the way its always changing depending on my position. Some divers want there gear always the same never changing because it distracts them. My gear is part of my dive and I'm there to play. You'll also notice the annoying hose pull to the right side will be gone on a double hose. Once your DH becomes one with you, single hoses just get down right annoying. A word of caution, while diving in other peoples boat, something always bumps my air horn and pokes a pin hole in my silicone hose. Easy to plug with super glue, though. Don't know if Bryan made the AK horns different to prevent that.

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Sat May 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Herman wrote:It's good that your shop respects to old school ways but remember that many of these folks have never actually dove a DH reg or if they did, it was long ago and likely in poor shape. The AK can hold its own with ( and often times beat) any modern regulator.

Buoyancy control is always something I practice, I am definitely wanting to try ditching the BC and just use proper weighting. Im really fortunate with Scubaworld INC Delaware. Darrell the owner DH dives with a vintage Mistral and one of the instructors has two restored DH regs. Im heading up to Willow springs PA next month for some DM training and I will be doing some DH fun dives with that instructor. Ill be doing some pool work with it once I recieve it first though. :D

Me on my trip to FL keys end of March. Drift dove with Islamorada Dive Center, last time I dove the keys was 35 years ago. I forgot how nice it is down there. lol

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Sat May 13, 2017 6:49 pm

tripplec wrote:I think you'll like diving DH. I've put over 200 dives on my Phoenix since Bryan installed it a phew years back. Your right about the bubbles. Having them go past my ears on a SH almost hurts my ear drum for some reason. And there is nothing more annoying than lining your spear up on a nice fish and all the sudden your looking through a wall of bubbles. I also like the handling. Not super duper breathing, but the way its always changing depending on my position. Some divers want there gear always the same never changing because it distracts them. My gear is part of my dive and I'm there to play. You'll also notice the annoying hose pull to the right side will be gone on a double hose. Once your DH becomes one with you, single hoses just get down right annoying. A word of caution, while diving in other peoples boat, something always bumps my air horn and pokes a pin hole in my silicone hose. Easy to plug with super glue, though. Don't know if Bryan made the AK horns different to prevent that.

I hear ya on the hose pull. When we were drift diving for about an hour, I was feeling that tug quite noticeably. If you see that picture I posted you can see my face enshrouded with bubbles.... so obnoxious. Im big into spearing lionfish, and any help to sneak up on them before they hide deep into a coral head is a plus. I never had any lionfish before, and i will say it is as tasty as grouper, and I rather take an invasive lionfish out of the ecosystem than a grouper. Image

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Mon May 15, 2017 9:52 am

Got my VDH back plate today! Now to rig it up with a harness. On my way to my LDS this morning for my DM class. They will price match on gear even against leisure pro.

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Mon May 15, 2017 10:32 am

CAP2ND1961 wrote:Got my VDH back plate today! Now to rig it up with a harness. On my way to my LDS this morning for my DM class. They will price match on gear even against leisure pro.

Chris
Master Diver

Mon May 15, 2017 11:23 am

Few years back I ordered the vdh kit with the plate, wing, and webbing. Last year I ordered the hardware for a second plate and copied my plate to thicker aluminum, had the boat builders bend me a single tank adapter, and welded interlocking bushings between them. With just two bolts I can change between using wing or not. Take off the single tank adapter and bolt on my doubles bands. I got the gap wider than I intended, so the can isnt flush with my shoulders, but I cant remember the last time I was swimming flat trimmed and not touching anything. Sorry for copying your work Bryan, maybe I'll engrave "design stolen from VDH" on the plate for you.ImageImage

Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon May 15, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm confused as to why you would add a single tank adapter to a plate that was already designed to use a single tank? Adding the single tank adapter moves the diaphragm of the regulator further away from you back which increased the work of breathing.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Mon May 15, 2017 5:23 pm

I was not in any way meaning to say I made anything better or improved. And I certainly did not mean anything negative about the vdh plate. I used mine a phew weeks ago and like it too. Cannt improve perfect placement. I just found myself rerouting tank straps threw my wing every time I put it on. Plus I had one set of doubles with a plate and wanted the options of making my singles into doubles with a cheater bar. I only welded this up so I could use one harness with all my different setups. On another try, I would certainly inset the welds and shorten the tubes to get the can closer. Probably should have thought before posting. You have my permission to delete.

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Mon May 15, 2017 9:51 pm

CAP2ND1961 wrote:Got my VDH back plate today! Now to rig it up with a harness. On my way to my LDS this morning for my DM class. They will price match on gear even against leisure pro.

The owner of my LDS, Darrell Louder. He has several restored DH regs. He's been in the business for ages. I'm in good hands with this group. ImageImage

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Sun May 21, 2017 2:28 pm

So I was up at my LDS last Monday before my DM class to order the harness and other items to rig my VDH back plate. Jessica, who is my mentor and awesome course director was very excited about me getting a double hose reg as was Darrell the shop owner. I even mentioned that I had read on this board that some shop owners don't want any part of a DH reg because they are dangerous.

I will now quote what Darrell said in response: "Why would it be dangerous? Unless you are too stupid to breathe out of it or keep the reg in your mouth that is. And if that's the case SCUBA is probably not the best choice of a hobby for ya."

I love these guys! :)

CAP2ND1961
Lung Diver

Sun May 21, 2017 2:43 pm

While waiting for my Kraken, I have been doing a bunch of reading and watching videos. I also found the complete Sea Hunt series on Youtube so I have been binge watching that as well.

Funny thing on Sea Hunt, is some of the diving things being said by Mike Nelson are spot on. However some things are quite LOL. The Killer Whale episode where he claims they are blood thirsty killers and it was implied that a diver was eaten by one in this episode. Then to hear him state: They are terrible creatures and Id like to see them all killed. The show ended with them blowing one up with an explosive warhead spear. :roll:

I always get a laugh, when the panicking diver grabs a knife to try to kill Mike. Panicking divers are definitely dangerous, but I dont think they are going to grab a knife, more likely to rip your reg out of your mouth though.

Its a fun show, regardless. Back when a TV season was extremely long... I think 37 or 38 episodes/weeks?

Ciao~ CAP

Chris
Master Diver

Sun May 21, 2017 3:15 pm

My wife got me sea hunt on dvd. I of course had to make some of my own.
https://youtu.be/98XVdz0E3vQ

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”