Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Age of Aquarius....Spring of 72 according to USD

Thu May 12, 2016 11:53 am

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Age of Aquarius....Spring of 72 according to USD

Thu May 12, 2016 11:36 pm

This is the regulator that got me into vintage scuba diving. My home business account with McMaster Carr is still called Aquarius Diving. Heavy, good looking, and with only like 2 moving parts. This is the truck gun of the regulator world. I used to loan these for people who needed to borrow a reg. I taught Anna (my wife) how to dive with one of these. Later models have 3 low pressure ports as well.

I've gotten these for 10 bucks before at flea markets and such.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 13, 2016 7:48 am

The Aquarius showed back up in the AL catalog around 2004 with a swivel yoke and a couple extra ports re branded as Calypso...but if you look at the schematic its definitely an Aquarius inside.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Mon May 15, 2017 3:29 am

I'm just in the process of rebuilding an Aquarius... thanks to Herman and others for helping identify it and an older Scubapro I bought as a cheap job-lot on eBay!
Great to know more about the history of this reg via Bryan's blog post... I'm really starting to appreciate its unique classic lines too :)

Responded well to a 50:50 white vinegar and distilled water treatment followed by a good scrub with bronze wool and an ultrasonic clean.

It's in very good condition inside so should restore well... I've ordered seal kits from VDH but in looking over the USD schematics and service guide I realised that while the spacer (#37) is there the small washer (#27) is missing. Evidence of fiddling back in the day :roll:

I thought it a little odd that the nut was turned right in with several threads showing when I opened the can... I wonder how it breathed like that!

So if anyone can get their hands on one I'd be very grateful... or please confirm the OD/ID dimensions to see if it is a standard Imperial 316 stainless washer size (5-40?)

Bryan recommends changing over the snap ring retaining the purge button... I assume these are also a standard Imperial size 316 stainless part?
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon May 15, 2017 9:08 am

[quote="Fibonacci"
It's in very good condition inside so should restore well... I've ordered seal kits from VDH but in looking over the USD schematics and service guide I realised that while the spacer (#37) is there the small washer (#27) is missing. Evidence of fiddling back in the day :roll:

Washer is important as it provides the bearing surface for the lever. If it is missing the lever rides against the housing.

So if anyone can get their hands on one I'd be very grateful... or please confirm the OD/ID dimensions to see if it is a standard Imperial 316 stainless washer size (5-40?)

I don't think it's a standard size. If it were I would stock them as this part is often missing.

Bryan recommends changing over the snap ring retaining the purge button... I assume these are also a standard Imperial size 316 stainless part?
The snap ring is included in the service kit for the 2nd stage.
[/quote]

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Sat May 27, 2017 4:10 am

I don't think it's a standard size. If it were I would stock them as this part is often missing.
OK scrounged around a well established LDS and got a replacement #27 washer off a junker USD reg.
I can see now that this washer acts as a replaceable lever pivot seat, harder than the brass housing... which potentially could wear a groove over time.

Bryan is right that they are a non-standard size... SAE/ANSI list a 5-40 washer as being:
OD: 0.406" (10.3 mm)
ID: 0.141" (3.58 mm)
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/genera ... rs-sae.htm

Just in case others need them during a restoration, washer #27 dimensions are:

OD: 0.3020" (7.66 mm)
ID: 0.1385" (3.50 mm)
Thickness: 0.0205" (0.54mm)

All back together now, in setting the IP at 130 psi for 210 BAR (3045 psi) the pressure flicks back smartly on purge and holds rock steady.
However, when the tank is at 100 BAR (1450 psi) the IP drops to 115 psi... is this a normal characteristic of the unbalanced first stage?
I left the IP set up for the higher tank pressure, and the whole reg breathes really well!

My first overhaul was really satisfying... I can see more reg rescues in the future :lol:
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 am

Shifting IP in relationship to tank pressure is normal for any unbalanced first stage. With piston first stages, the IP drops as tank pressure drops and IP rises in an unbalanced diaphragm first stages (DAAM for example) as tank pressure drops. This is the reason it is important to set IP at the correct tank pressure on unbalanced first stages. If for example, you set the IP on an unbalanced piston reg with a 300 psi tank it is very likely your second stage will freeflow at full tank pressures because the IP has risen enough to overcome spring pressure in the second stage. Conversely, if you set the IP on a unbalanced diaphragm first stage (DAAM)with a full tank, the IP will rise at low tank pressures and will likely cause the second stage to freeflow. WIth balanced first stages, the IP should be constant across the range of tank pressure although a few psi shift is not uncommon. \
While there are several reasons to balance a first stage, the main one is to keep IP constant. Doing so allows you to set up the second stage at lower cracking pressures which lowers the work of breathing and keeps it constant over the range of tank pressures.
Herman

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Sat May 27, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks for the very clear explanation Herman... makes sense now!

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”