Automan
Lung Diver
First Name: Ian

Orca Pilot Audio Dive Computer

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:28 am

Is this a dive computer?

I understand it is and it can talk but I can't find any information on it even on how to open it up for a battery change.

Anyone got any ideas or information on this computer.

BTW, I now have I guess about 30 different dive computers...

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Orca Pilot Audio Dive Computer

Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Don't remember that one....

Gleaned from the internet:

PILOT EAN

The Pilot EAN, from Orca, features finger contact activation and a tap switch operated backlight. It has manually adjusted altitude settings for five ranges from sealevel to 11,480 feet. Audible alarms include high oxygen partial pressure, oxygen toxicity, excessive ascent rate and no decompression time remaining at four minutes. Personal adjustments can be entered for normal or hard diving conditions. The oxygen partial pressure warning can be set from 1.2 to 1.6 atmospheres. The suggested retail price for the wrist mounted Pilot EAN is $469. In a two gauge console with a submersible pressure gauge it is $559.

PILOT AUDIO EAN

Orcas Pilot Audio EAN offers all of the features of the Pilot EAN but can be operated in normal or audio mode. In audio mode, the computer is worn on the facemask strap, near the ear. It offers voice (spoken words) indication of depth, dive time, no decompression stop time, reminder to check air, ascent rate warning and entering decompression diving. The audio mode and backlight are activated by a tap switch. An audible warning (beep) is always given to remind the diver to make a safety stop on ascent. The suggested retail price for the Pilot Audio EAN, which can also be worn on a wrist strap (included), is $599.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Automan
Lung Diver

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Bob, many thanks for that info...

Having examined the case with a magnifying glass I was pretty sure how to get the cover off.

Press the two buttons in and slide towards in the direction of the back.

Inner Battery Cover Which Just Lifts Off

LS14250 Battery Still In Place With Minor Corrosion

I now have a copy of the manual for the non audio model so with luck it is similar

A new battery is also now on order and I will report back after it arrives

Automan
Lung Diver

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:06 am

New battery has arrived and from checking the battery compartment I note a hairline crack so not 100% sure how it will be in the water (crack is on the dry side of the o-ring).

In Surface Mode

I would take it diving this weekend but we are expecting 30mph winds and 15ft waves so it will have to wait :(

P.S. Yes it does talk with a Female American voice.

Wetlens
First Name: Frank

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I got a pair of them at a deep discount shortly after they were introduced. First time the thing talked to me underwater, I knew it had to go. Sold one, my ex held on to the other and recently gave it to me. Sits in a drawer along with a Skinnydipper and an Edge...

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:55 pm

The edge was a fantastic dive computer. I'm not so much a fan of the form factor, but it's still an entirely useful computer even today. Once in a while I still use mine when I feel like burning up a 9 volt.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

dhaas
Lung Diver

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:56 pm

You can wear the Orca Pilot Audio on your wrist and turn off the voice. This and round style Orca Pilot line were made in Finland by Benemec.

Very liberal algorithm and I dived these for years plus I was the Orca distributor myself for a few years after buying out all remaining inventory. Had parts for these and round Pilot models plus Orca SkinnyDipper / Marathons and Phoenix integrated SPG computers for awhile.

All gone now for years and don't know if the person in CA who bought the remainder from me still has parts. Can't find email or other contact....

The wet contacts in salt water use especially if not kept clean and computers going to one atmosphere cases with push buttons is also what did in this type of dive computer.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”