Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

USD Deep Star

Mon May 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Here is the new blog post on the Deep Star.

Feel free to share what you remember or like about this handy little regulator :)
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: USD Deep Star

Tue May 17, 2016 10:16 am

I don't remember ever taking one apart.....Barely remember seeing one.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Tue May 17, 2016 11:30 am

Liken it to a ScubaPro MK-2 (but not as good). Simple, compact, "meh" for performance.... Inherited one, but rarely use it as it has a really thin yoke....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue May 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Several of my high school buddies used the US Divers DEEPSTAR. That was the probably the least expensive regulator that we offered at Divers Service Center, but it could also be purchased at Sears.

I am glad that no one had the DEEPSTAR II.

I don’t think any of those regulators were ever serviced, but they always worked just fine. I remember servicing a few DEEPSTAR at the dive shop (other customers), but the owners of DEEPSTAR rarely would have them service.

In high school we had a very active Marine Biology/ Dive Club. We tried to plan dives on most weekends.

As mentioned, the DEEPSTAR is kind of like the Scubapro MK-2. The MK-2 was so successful that it is still being made. It has changed a bit, but it is basically the same MK-2.

US Divers replaced the DEEPSTAR with the Aquarius. Aqua Lung now sells the Calypso, which is a similar un-balanced piston regulator. I kind of wish they would have kept the DEEPSTAR name, but I guess using the name Calypso has more recognition.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue May 17, 2016 8:43 pm

luis wrote:
I am glad that no one had the DEEPSTAR II.
Why?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue May 17, 2016 9:47 pm

The first stage was a huge chuck of brass. In theory the much larger piston diameter would allow a larger high pressure orifice for improved performance while keeping the simplicity of the unbalanced design. I don't know if there was a real improvement. I never actually measured to compare the volcano orifice size of the two Deepstar versions, and never dived with a II to compare performance. If I recall correctly the Deepstar II did not even have a HP port, and never reached the popularity of the I. Besides, it was ugly.
The older I get the better I was.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 pm

I own a DEEPSTAR II. It is a great conversation piece. It is an interesting design. It is different, just to be different. It has a female piston if that makes any sense. The piston is something like Delrin or a similar type of plastic.

The first stage has an un-balanced flow through piston.

One very interesting characteristic is that due to the piston geometry there is no high pressure ports. In the early 1970’s that was the kiss of death. In PR, the SPG was standard equipment by 1971. I don’t remember anyone diving without it, except when I dove my Royal Aqua Master and that is probably the major reason why no one else cared to dive my RAM.

The DEEPSTAR II had 2 low pressure ports, but no high pressure ports.

The regulator first stage works, but it is big heavy and it offer no advantage over a more conventional piston design. Its flow rate is nothing special. The seat is replaceable, but it the piston looks like it will get easily ruined with even small amount of sand.

It is also a very difficult first stage to open. You have to use a strap wrench and the large diameter threads can lock with just a bit of corrosion.

The regulator was a major flop at US Divers.

I like collecting and studying interesting weird experiments like this. Sometimes the design failures have a better story that the successes.

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue May 17, 2016 10:42 pm

Ron and or I will most likely put your info about the Deepstar II into a blog post in the near future Great info to share around on the other VDH outlets. After seeing the pictures I remember seeing a few in the past but never really paid them much attention.

Thanks Luis and Bill....

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed May 18, 2016 2:08 am

I just figured anybody whose anybody has a DeepStar laying around the garage somewhere. :D Here's a pic of mine. A true workhorse. Mark
Deep Star 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed May 18, 2016 7:37 am

I've got one like Luis's. I've been using the second stage with my Phoenix for years.

Jim

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”