Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Calypso IV and J....GO GET YOUR TOOLS

Wed May 11, 2016 1:26 pm

Brief write up on the often maligned Calypso single hose.

CLICK HERE
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Re: Calypso IV and J....GO GET YOUR TOOLS

Thu May 12, 2016 8:00 am

Thanks for posting this Bryan. I have an unmolested Calypso J NIB and have been procrastinating due to job an DH rebuild priorities. Since I am away from my "Bat Cave" I haven't been able to rebuild a single reg in 4 months. I am going through reg rebuild withdrawal syndrome. Luckily, I'll be back in West Saudi and the "Cave" next month. And you might note that I've been buying up supplies for that eventful return.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu May 12, 2016 11:55 am

Vintage Diver Bill has some follow up stuff he shared with me on the Calypso and I'll get it posted here as soon as we get it all compiled.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 pm

This reg is one of my favorites from USD. Balanced, easy breathing, good looking, and heavy. They make a wonderful travel reg if they are a J model in that you can travel on vacation, dive vintage, and still use a J valve. I used one of these in the Bahamas briefly during International Legends of Diving. They are every bit as good of a breather as a Conshelf in my opinion.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 13, 2016 7:39 am

I was looking over the info again and realized there was a Calypso III made in 70 for only that year but carried over in the catalogs after the IV. Not sure what was different about it?
In 70 USD introduced the 1085 2nd stage but it had the squared exhaust T which I think was only for that year. In the catalog it shows the regulators with the screw on the clamp ring facing the bottom which changed after that to being aligned with the hose the next year.
I'll see what else I can find out and add to the blog post. If anyone has more info please share it. Bill and Mike O are sending me stuff to add already. Thank you

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 pm

BT and Mike know all about the recall on the calypso IV for its seat dislodging, which was apparently only 1 reported case. There is a brass crown block insert that goes against the HP seat for that. All Calypso VI, which are not vintage, have them. I have personally taken apart some Calypso IVs that had them installed as mitigation of the recall as well.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri May 13, 2016 1:07 pm

slonda828 wrote:BT and Mike know all about the recall on the calypso IV for its seat dislodging, which was apparently only 1 reported case. There is a brass crown block insert that goes against the HP seat for that. All Calypso VI, which are not vintage, have them. I have personally taken apart some Calypso IVs that had them installed as mitigation of the recall as well.
Mike and Bill are helping me gather up info on the subject....good call

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun May 15, 2016 5:08 pm

UPDATE.......BIG THANKS to Bill T (Vintage Diver) and Mike O (Ovalis) for bringing me up to speed on an important recall and update issued by US Divers on all Calypso models dated 09/13/1979.....

I don't remember working on any Calypso First Stages that did not have the bushing already in them but I'll bet there are a few out there. I'll let Bill and Mike comment more if they have the time.
I am sourcing the correct O-ring for the HP seat on the Calypso as it is not a standard size and if I can source it I"ll put it in the service kit. Working on acquiring bushings for those regulators that might not have them.....Stay Tuned Here for details. I'll update the blog soon. Below is a link to some pictures from Bill and all the documents from US Divers.

CLICK HERE

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun May 15, 2016 8:55 pm

It was an unusual recall in that dealers actually had to pay for the supply of bushings they sent us to correct their problem. Only $1 each piece, but pretty chintzy of them for a part that they wanted installed because of a self-admitted "potentially hazardous" situation if the seat moved out of position.

Once we installed one in a regulator and sent them the information on owner and serial number, they then generously paid us the princely sum of $4.00. A huge margin of $3.00 for our time! All that big money $$ for just an hour spent placating the owner, testing the regulator, installing the bushing, and then re-testing the reg and filling out the form to send to USD!

They rationalized by telling us it was a terrific opportunity for us to get divers into the store for more sales. I have to admit that really was a good opportunity to keep a customer happy and promptly take care of their reg while they waited. I don't remember any of them being grouchy about having to bring their reg in, and mostly they were pleased to have the service quickly performed. Turned out ok for us too.

I particularly like the Calypso-J, and still have three different models. The reserve really helped sell them in the early 70's before gauges became popular.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Single Hose Regulators.”