Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

What is the best compressor out there for under $6K?

Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:14 am

Hey Folks,

Thinking about making the plunge on home compressors. Anyone have an Air Tex? Curious about that and the Coltris. Any suggestions as to the best compressor for under 6 k.

Thanks, Russ
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: What is the best compressor out there for under $6K?

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:37 am

Alkin Airetex W31 has been 10' tall and bullet proof over the last 5 years for me. Oil, filter cartridges, vent tube lines and some elbow grease is all it has cost me in upkeep. I keep a meticulous run log and have my air tester 4 times per year. Mine maintains an 8 bottle bank at 3500psi.
For two years I routinely used it for continuous blend NITROX fills when I was doing public air fills.
Owner of the company is a great guy and will answer any questions you might have. I understand from talking to them at DEMA the new W31 is supposed to be even tougher than mine.
I would not hesitate to buy another one if I live long enough to wear this one out.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bronze06
Master Diver

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks Bryan, that is a real recommendation coming from you. I'll check it out.

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:41 am

For what it's worth, Bauer is considered the Mercedes Benz of compressors if money is no object. That said I recommended the Alkin w31 to Bryan.
Captain

Bronze06
Master Diver

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:03 pm

I agree that Bauer is the "Gold Standard" when it comes to compressors. We have a 25 year old Bauer here in Tabuk. It is build like a tank and is easy to maintain. Cost for Bauers are high compared to other compressors but as the Captain stated, they are the Mercedes of compressors. Even a used Bauer carries more gravitas than some new compressors. Right now I am just shopping and will go to purchase in about 4 months. If anyone else has a suggestion or compressor preference, please feel free to inform me and others here.

Thanks Folks

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:39 pm

I vote for Bauer. I still have a 3 cfm Utilus, (virtually same as the modern Junior II) that I acquired in 1992, when it was already 3 years old. Began life gasoline powered and we took it all over Florida and Texas; now equipped with electric motor for filling cylinders in my garage. The gas powered Rix now travels when needed.

BTW a brand new Bauer Junior II with 230v electric motor goes for about $3895 locally. Parts readily available nearby from one of the top Bauer distributors in the country.

Proper use and maintenance is important to the dependability and longevity of any brand you end up with.
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “Compressor Talk”