kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

unknown Cornelius

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Does anyone know anything about this Cornelius Compressor? The seller states it is 24v dc and was used to fill scuba tanks.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: unknown Cornelius

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 am

They were military compressors used in aircraft and other vehicles that had 24 volt, 400 cycle electrical systems. Frequencies as high as 400 Hz are used in aircraft, spacecraft, submarines, server rooms for computer power, military equipment, and hand-held machine tools. Such high frequencies cannot be economically transmitted long distances, so 400 Hz power systems are usually confined to a building or vehicle. Transformers and motors for 400 Hz are much smaller and lighter than at 50 or 60 Hz, which is an advantage in aircraft and ships. A United States military standard MIL-STD-704 exists for aircraft use of 400 Hz power.
The were common as surplus and modified to fill scuba tanks. Yours appears to be two compressors tied together. Most were modified to run on normal 110 volt 60 cycle power or a gas engine.
Captain

kworkman
Master Diver

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:00 am

I dont have it yet. I was just curious if it was worth my while to get it. I know nothing about these.

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Keith,

In the Manuals & Catalogs portion of VDH, there are a couple of pdf files on Cornelius compressors. This might be a good place to start for general knowledge of the brand.

Also, your near neighbor Reynoldsburg, Ohio is home to one of the branches of Breathing Air Systems, a good source for compressors if you are in the market. I had a Mako/Bauer system from BAS for about 7 years when I did commercial work.

George
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

kworkman
Master Diver

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:49 pm

I downloaded the manual I just havent looked through it yet. Maybe tonight at work. The guy is asking $100 I just didnt know if Id be getting in over my head trying to rebuild it.

Keith

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 am

The main issue is what type of power does it have. These are tough little compressors made to military specifications. Does the seller say anything about condition.

Check with frogman62, I think he is a member here and is a spert on these type compressors. This is his web site.

http://sheldensportinggoods.com/
Captain

Return to “Compressor Talk”