Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Scubapro mk2

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 pm

The Scubapro Mk2 has a pretty devout following. I'm not a Scubapro dude, but I am curious. How come it has such a cult following versus other unbalanced piston regulators like the USD Aquarius, later model unbalanced piston calypso, etc? I'm considering getting one, and it would be my first Scubapro regulator. Has anyone had one? What makes it the fan favorite of unbalanced piston regulators?
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Robohips77
Master Diver

Re: Scubapro mk2

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:21 pm

Ron I had these regs exclusively in our rental program in the 90s and they virtually never had problems . Matched with the R-190 they were great training regs. We sold more of this one and the G250 was a close secondary matched to the mk 20 . Easy to repair. Is your goal for a stage bottle or deco? Or just a for training? I don't think it deliverd air flow real well after 100 ft but I know we adjusted that problem out. Cold water out also. Minimal parts to replace. We also sold USD but they both were top sellers
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:51 pm

I need a reg for teaching that is newer than 1975, and I don't own any lol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Ron
Site Admin

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:53 pm

I almost got a titan, but the new Aqualung stuff looks cheesy to me. The SP stuff looks a little more serious.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:57 pm

MK2's are great regulators but getting your hoses positioned where you want them can be challenging since there is no swivel.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:54 pm

... add first stage swivels?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:11 pm

:roll:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:29 pm

I ended up getting an Aqualung Titan LX. I found one that looked cool and red, and didn't have any geckos, lizards, vanilla colored plastic, or any of that other crap that comes on some of the new Aqualung stuff. Inside, it is a conshelf/RAM, and that is my favorite design for a regulator. It's still almost just as easy to service too. After rebuilding a SP mk25/S600 yesterday, I have to say that the modern SP regs have too many parts, too many o-rings, and too many fancy bushings. That mk25 is like a damn luger on the inside. I'm more of a 1911 kind of a guy, so I went with the Aqualung regulator. It's kind of weird, in 10 years of diving I have never owned a regulator that I have purchased new. It also matches the color scheme of the Kraken, which means it can be my octo for that as well. 8)

Regulators come with 2 HP ports now. What in the world do people use 2 HP ports for?

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:36 pm

slonda828 wrote:I ended up getting an Aqualung Titan LX. I found one that looked cool and red, and didn't have any geckos, lizards, vanilla colored plastic, or any of that other crap that comes on some of the new Aqualung stuff. Inside, it is a conshelf/RAM, and that is my favorite design for a regulator. It's still almost just as easy to service too. After rebuilding a SP mk25/S600 yesterday, I have to say that the modern SP regs have too many parts, too many o-rings, and too many fancy bushings. That mk25 is like a damn luger on the inside. I'm more of a 1911 kind of a guy, so I went with the Aqualung regulator. It's kind of weird, in 10 years of diving I have never owned a regulator that I have purchased new. It also matches the color scheme of the Kraken, which means it can be my octo for that as well. 8)

Regulators come with 2 HP ports now. What in the world do people use 2 HP ports for?
Some divers like to use a standard SPG, and a wireless transmitter for their computer.

Nice choice for a modern reg.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Ron
Site Admin

Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks Greg :) I need to bone up on my modern diving too a little bit. I didn't even know regulators came with multiple HP ports until yesterday. You have seen a lot of regulators. Have you come across one more complex than the newest mk25/S600? I was thinking maybe Poseidon, but I've never had one apart.

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Bryan wrote::roll:
You can sell a 3-way adapter, but the identical connection in a single output swivel is not good? Just curious how you see the difference?
Bob

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:27 pm

People can sell things for the enjoyment of others yet simultaneously not like them. :wink:

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:24 am

....and the reason for the dislike? I'd like to hear his perspective. His years of experience(s) are of value...
Bob

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:46 am

slonda828 wrote:Thanks Greg :) I need to bone up on my modern diving too a little bit. I didn't even know regulators came with multiple HP ports until yesterday. You have seen a lot of regulators. Have you come across one more complex than the newest mk25/S600? I was thinking maybe Poseidon, but I've never had one apart.
Ron,

I've not had the opportunity to rebuild a MK25, but looking at the parts schematic reveals that it is certainly more complicated than the earlier balanced piston designs. As you know, I am a big fan of the Voit/Swimaster balanced diaphragm first stages, along with the USD versions. Over the past five years, I have also developed a deep respect for the Scubapro MK5 design.

Roger is adept at working on the Poseidon Cyklon and Jet Stream regulators. I have always thought that the metal bodied Cyklon were really neat looking.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:01 am

I agree with you Greg, the mark V is an awesome design. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought SP invented the balanced piston regulator.

Return to “Vintage Scubapro Regulators”