Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Argonaut: Strange Regulators sighted off Cozumel coast.....

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:39 am

:shock: .. :?:

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Strange Regulators sighted off Cozumel coast.....

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Considering the strange characters that are diving them, it's no surprise. :wink:
Herman

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:56 pm

:shock:
-Geoff

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Luis says he will post more info here over the weekend. :D

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Subject: Project Argonaut

Note: NO Aqua Master or Royal Aqua Master were harmed, sacrificed, or cannibalized for this project… Ok, the cans are temporarily on loan, but most parts are either new or they will be new.

Cracking effort: can be easily adjusted to as low as 0.3 inWC, but it is not recommended to be adjusted to less than 0.5 inWC.

Venturi flow: adjustable.

Maximum flow rate: more than you will ever need, even with a second diver using an octopus.

Operational temperature: It is an environmentally isolated double hose like the Aqua Master and RAM. I live in Maine. Ice diving will not be an issue, well, at least not for the regulator. Last year we didn’t have any good ice.

First stage: Balanced diaphragm, similar to Phoenix, but with improved air passages to diaphragm and second stage for improved IP response.

Second stage: highly adjustable, HPR type with improved volcano orifice.

This is a totally new regulator based on the cumulative experience of the RAM, the Phoenix RAM and the HPR second stage. It uses many standard components, but it incorporates many improvements, including an improved second stage (based on the HPR).

The main body also features improved air passages, optimized 3 LP ports and modern HP port.

It is very hard to improve on the breathing performance of a well tuned Phoenix HPR with the new diaphragm. Mechanically it is almost impossible, but the performance due to the regulator position is always user dependent.

Some of the improvements of the Argonaut:
• Ease of service
• Unitized construction with no gaskets between first and second stage
• Body is easy to hold, on any vise or with Crescent type wrench.
• Replaceable first and second stage volcano orifices
• Better port orientation
• Lighter weight
• More compact
• No need to cannibalize any vintage regulator for parts.
• Backwards and forward compatibility with parts of the most common vintage regulators. It can be customized with some vintage parts.

Recent diving in Cozumel with the Argonaut prototypes:

Note: I did not set the dive computer to local time. Therefore the times shown are two hours later than local.

• There were several Argonauts in the Cozumel trip.
• The maximum dive depth was around 150 ft (some went to 155 ft).
• The sum of the dive time was about 25 hours of diving on each regulator.
• One of the dives involved some very heavy current when crossing an underwater canyon. We were all probably breathing like Hoovers at that point. Regulator performance was never in question… It was outstanding.
• All regulators performed flawlessly in all dives.

More information to follow.

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

adairrj
Master Diver
First Name: Adair

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:26 pm

I like it!!! :D
*******Adair*******

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Project would not have been possible without all the help we got from Ken R and his amazing skills with 3D modeling. I know there were times when you wanted to pull your hair out with all the changes Luis and I kept throwing at you but the end result was definitely worth it.

And Thank you to Rob, James and Couv for being brave guinea pigs diving prototype regulator on vacation!

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 pm

It is a beauty, what they should have mane 40 years ago if they had understood todays needs :lol: .

It is hard to describe just how well thought out this new assembly is and I think it is about 3/4 inches shorter overall, Luis can provide the actually number but it is noticeably more compact. I am so excited we may soon have these to purchase, amazing is not enough to describe it.

James

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:32 pm

As a sucker for all things VDH I will ofcourse be interested in one when they are available. Are there any plans for new cans also? It would seem like a waste to sacrafice a perfectly good Aquamaster just for a set of cans. Also, will it be available as a DIY kit? Or only as a complete assembly? I find the idea that I can have a truely "new" DH reg that I built (or at least assembled) myself appealing. As always, nice work!

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:07 pm

EHowe wrote: Are there any plans for new cans also?
New cans have been designed but we have not done rapid prototyping of them yet due to the cost. Also, will it be available as a DIY kit? Or only as a complete assembly? Right now the plan is to have the regulator "Dive Ready" right out of the box with every component being 100% new.
We have already passed several large milestones in the project but there is still a long row to hoe before it's ready. Very exciting times for the double hose diver :D

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:35 pm

I love old vintage regs as you all know, but this new reg will be something to behold when it is all done and ready for primetime. I am honored to have been able to dive and own one of the very few prototypes.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:00 am

- You VDH guys are an inspiration to me. Personally and professionally. Because the best new products and innovations come out of a Love for what you are doing. Believe it or not, these past two years of my involvement in the VDH community have made me a better businessman and a better person... Rekindled my enthusiasm for work, innovation, and got me out of the "Grumpy Old Gunsmith" mentality.
- Congratulations on this successful test of your new Argonaut regulator. I thank you for pursuing it and for setting such a good example for the rest of us.
- Sincerely, Eben
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Yo, double hose diving dawgs :D .

This strange device sighted off the Cozumel reef at 155 feet, hmmmm, what could it be. So cool, my PRAM was trying to run hide in a crevice. I had to whisper sweet nothings in it's intake port to calm it down it was so jealous of this new kid. You know what, this new and strange device is INTENDED to be a complete, new regulator :shock: . You purchase it and it comes out of the box ready to go. New cans, new hoses, new everything. In fact, I hear tell, that in the fullness of time it may even have a new mouthpiece like a modern Hope Page or something equally fantastic.

I do not know when this will happen but it will happen, I trust in that. I do not know what a completely new regulator will cost or exactly it's final form as these were prototype test units. It cost money to actually manufacture a NEW, COMPLETE double hose regulator. Not to mention the CAD programs are apparently running over time with the design work for each component. Consider, that a huge, company, Aqua Lung, could not build a new double hose regulator from essentially scratch and instead tried unsuccessfully to make a Titan into a kludge fest double hose :( . This is a larger undertaking than has been attempted before outside of a major manufacturer and that is probably an understatement.

This new regulator will be AMAZING. It will live in the vintage spirit but will be new. What is new, I get it direct from the experts and I think I saw some of it it though it made my eyes tear from joy:

1. New integrated LOW PROFILE body--this is HUGE, huge I say, H_U_G_E!
2. New cans (said to be possibly quick open from one secret source)
3. HPR second stage
4. Improved Titan/RAM "type" first
5. Large, mushroom exhaust valve integrated into the bottom can and centered perfectly on the diaphragm.
6. Maybe a new mouthpiece--(pretty please with sugar on it)

The new body, I think, has not only a replaceable hp volcano orifice but it has, if I understood correctly, an adjustable/replaceable second stage volcano. If this is true, that is HUGE!

And, I also want to point out the increase in reliability eliminating the pinch gasket in the current design on the hp side. No more shimming for alignment of the Phoenix, it will be RIGHT right out of the box for your hose routings.

And, it pulls all this off and still looks vintage. And, because it is intended to be fully complete and new, no longer will it be needed to scavenge perfectly good antique regulators for parts and the resulting guilt trip.

Nem

spectrum
Skin Diver

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:48 pm

This is amazing when I think of the way those of you before me were scrapping regulators together when I showed up in 2005. Step by step each door opened to another to where this has been demonstrated. I have not doubt that it will come to fruition.

Being a tad shorter I hope it will accept someone's stock DIN connector. All of my larger cylinders are DIN forcing me to go single hose on long dives when I'd most enjoy a double hose.

Now I need to figure out how to build a 2012 Gilson Snowblower from scratch! :shock:

Pete
Vintage stuff:
Phoenix RAM # 128
Assorted horse collars
Voit 50 Fathom (presently pending TLC)
AARP eligible body

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm looking forward to someday Ice diving this reg! If that doesn't kill it, nothing will! LOL

Jim

Return to “Phoenix and Argonaut Specialty Area”