trapezus

Vintage Kidde Compressor

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:48 am

I live in Turkey. I use the compressor for 38 years Kidde. They worked 500 hours in US Airforce aircrafts and scrapped but worked flawlessly for many years without any fault and have adapted to scuba compressor.

My compressor has a 220 V 3 HP electric motor / gas engine 5 HP with 3000 psi 100lt/minute . or 5 HP electric motor 380 V works between 2 Kidde's 200 litres air for a small group of divers.Maximum speed is 3150 RPM. 3000 psi. 20/50 engine oil to the compressors using
If you do not run the oil depends on time and missing or lean Kidde will serve you many years .

Currently I'm using Kidde compressor 50 years product and I am very happy with them. Made in Europe with many brands are doing or every 2-3 years, the fault must be sent to the service for maintenance, which in many parts has changed the price was high.However, kidee is trying but unless they are used for many years without any problems,
This is a solid product for the US Air Force proof made I have a lot of spare compressor and I have experienced as long as they were my children.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Re: Vintage Kidde Compressor

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Thank you for posting the pictures and information about your Kidde compressor. I saw one on Ebay for a ridiculously lost price... They said it was brand new. So I was looking around but didn't find much information. Your post is helpful.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:28 pm

All of the military surplus compressors, Kidde, Cornelus and Stewart Warner are pretty much bullet proof.
Captain

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 am

Go to Google groups- compressor team. It is a forum of folks who specialize using these compressors. Jim Sheldon sporting goods is a wealth of knowledge and a member of this group. These turn a high RPM but are "bullet proof" as Capt aptly said.

trapezus

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:07 pm

my big brother

This is my big brother ! compressor 3750 rpm , 140 lt/mn , electric motor 3 HP (2800 rpm) 220 V, works clockwise ,no need maintenance..may be it's a armies scrap but worked 60 years without problem .
We are same age children .. and I am an experienced diver 39 years.. I trust his compressed air and dive 200+ feet..

Thank you very much for all Walter Kidde.. may God rest your soul..

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi Trapezus,

I thought that you might be interested to know that there is a distributor in the city where I live for the Alkin compressors that are made in Turkey. :)

Happy Diving!
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:12 pm

antique diver wrote:Hi Trapezus,

I thought that you might be interested to know that there is a distributor in the city where I live for the Alkin compressors that are made in Turkey. :)

Happy Diving!

I have an Alkin compressor and could not be happier :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

trapezus

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi,

big surprise for me to hear it :) .. Alkin's fabric in Izmir on the Eagean Sea.
There are some divers who use Alkin our diving club
I liken alkin Austrian Poseidon Compressors .. body is a bit heavy
I prefer AL body and high speed vintage compressors :D

trapezus

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Bryan wrote:
antique diver wrote:Hi Trapezus,

Happy Diving!

I have an Alkin compressor and could not be happier :D
:D may be you bought it a few hundreds dollars , USA all the cheap
would reduce the price here is $ 2500, I wanted to get

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 am

The only Alkin that I have actually gotten my hands on and test run was the W32, 8 cfm block. I do a lot of contract work for a company that sells Bauer, and service many of them of all models and ages, so I am more familiar with them, but the Alkin has some interesting properties.

The Alkin W32 is very obviously a knock-off of the versatile Bauer W-block, but has some interesting changes. The block appears to be cast iron instead of the aluminum that Bauer uses, and while some may think that is a disadvantage, it could be why the Alkin runs noticeably quiter. Alkin also uses much more Stainless Steel in critical places with tubing and separators, and that may be advantageous to longevity.

I would be interested in hearing from Alkin owners of any problems (even minor ones) that they may have experienced... so far I have only heard good things.
The older I get the better I was.

trapezus

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:08 am

I asked the factory prices today Turkey/Izmir

http://www.alkin-compressors.com/anasayfa_en.aspx

W32 8cfm 240lt/mn : 6016 dollar

W31 mariner 100lt/mn: 3722 dollars

Please write USA prices..

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 am

AireTex is making their own version of the W-31. They told me that prices from Alkin have increased and it was cheaper for them to have them made elsewhere and assembled by them. They still service, sell and distribute parts for the Alkin but are not promoting them as much.

Here is a link to their compressors. When I saw them in person I could not tell them from an Alkin.

http://www.airetex.com/a45.html

You can buy their W-45 new for around $3800.00

5 years ago I paid $2300.00 for my Alkin W-31 with 20 hours on it. I change the oil and filter cartridge every 20 hours. The state of Florida requires that I have my air independently tested 4 times per year and my results have always been far above acceptable standards for Grade E air. I also continuous blend NITROX using it with excellent results. In 5 years the only thing I have had to replace is the oil fill cap and the start switch.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:04 am

Just procured a WK 4.0 CFM four stage unit and am embarking on building my third compressor for portable field / dive boat use. Plan on gas power with filtration of course. This will be in addition to the Rix I have based in my shop. Thanks Trapezus for the pictures....they give me some build ideas.

Cheers to you in Turkey!

Steve

scubasteve59
Master Diver

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Hi Trapezus,

What type or brand of oil do you use in the Kidde compressor? I noted you stated 20-50W. Here in USA they recommend turbine jet oil of about 10W viscosity. Old school here says you can run pure medicinal mineral oil as well per original specs. You certainly have lots of years experience using these compressors so I am curious what oil you use in it to get longevity. Also, did you make the spline pulley adapter for the pump?

Thanks,

trapezus

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi scubasteve59,

Sorry for the late response. There was a red oil ( hydraulic) in front pump.
I used many years Mobil Whitrex 425 or equivalent Shell Onduna 33 .
These oils used food sector and medicinal machines. When we started to use these compressor , we were 3-5 people independent of each other..
Many years our Kidde’s work prefered Mobil Whitrex 425
Some users used medicated oil is castor oil (may be wrong) used. This is because the viscosity was very different .
There was a problem especially in over heat, and the fourth piston is jammed. 4. Piston is cigarette thikness and hasnn’t circlip.
last 20 years I use 20-50 oil gasoline (use in cars) do not live any problem.
After filling in each of 20 times 12 +12 tanks change the oil.

removing the pump from the same shaft put the hoop hooked.
if you have other questions gladly answer, I love the technical questions, I am an engineer but my English is not enough :(

Return to “Compressor Talk”