macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Tank Identification Help

Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:51 am

I’m wondering if someone can help me positively identity these tanks.

A friend of mine gave them to me. Apparently they’ve been sitting in the marina unused all these years.

As you can see from the pictures they’re small white vinyl tanks with AMF Voit tank decals and AMF Voit Viking ½ tapered valves.

They appear to be galvanized underneath the white vinyl with an additional coat of paint. Unfortunately I can’t find any sort of ICC or DOT markings on them. I’m unsure if the vinyl or paint itself is too thick or their simply aren’t any markings of any kind on the neck.

The only hydro I found appears to be from 1965 and it says with a rated pressure of 2250. They measure about 19inches tall and seem a 6.9” diameter like LP72s.

I am currently looking through the Voit catalogs posted here. At first I thought they were 38cf tanks but looking in the 1962 Voit catalog on Page 6, they seem like they might also be 50cf. Can anyone confirm?

The valves themselves are also very interesting. Unfortunately missing pieces but they appear to be have a reserve system similar to J-valves. They seem to also first be referenced in the 1963 Voit catalog on page 10.

Thoughts? I'd like to get these hydro-ed if they do indeed have ICC markings on them

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Tank Identification Help

Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 am

I've got a Voit tank just like that. The ICC info must be buried under the plastic coating. The valve had a cable with a knob on the end. It was a push/pull thing to operate the reserve.

macado
Master Diver

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks. Are your tanks 38cf or 50cf? I really like the size of these tanks. Wish I had a manifold for them but I'll they'll make nice small singles too.

Did you leave the vinyl on yours?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:29 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure on the size. I bought the tank because we have some Jr divers coming up in the dive club. Even a 72 would be to big for them and I figured one of these would be just about right. The writing on my tank is clearly visable so I didn't mess with the outside. I still have to roll mine and get it hydro'd. That project is on the back burner though.

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:51 pm

swimjim wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure on the size. I bought the tank because we have some Jr divers coming up in the dive club. Even a 72 would be to big for them and I figured one of these would be just about right. The writing on my tank is clearly visable so I didn't mess with the outside. I still have to roll mine and get it hydro'd. That project is on the back burner though.
I'm pretty sure that the 2250 psi tanks are 50', and the same (or similar) size as the 38' which is rated 1800 (some are 1880). As usual with steel cylinders, the cf ratings are based on 10% overfill.
The older I get the better I was.

macado
Master Diver

Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Thanks. I finally was able to get some of the vinyl coating off that is already chipped. That stuff is a bitch but I was able to find the ICC markings. (Pressure Rating of 2250)

So would that mean it would be 50cf at 2450psi then?

Is there an easy way to remove the vinyl coating? As much as I like the white, the vinyl is already chipped so I'd like to strip them down to the galvanized finish.

I have used Klean-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover for old paint but not sure if it will work with the vinyl coating?

captain
Plank Owner

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:36 am

I had a double set of those rated at 50 cu/ft at 2250 + 10%. Heavy little buggers, more negative than double 72's. You can use a large knife to scrape the vinyl off by using both hands and pulling the knife towards you in the old carpenters draw knife fashion.
Captain

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:57 am

I recently stripped down an old vinyl coated Dacor tanks. Sprayed on stripper and it softened the rubber coating but did not dissolve it. Then I scored lines down the tank with a razor knife and pulled the vinyl off in big strips/sheets. Its a little work.

macado
Master Diver

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:42 pm

I don't suppose anyone would know where I can acquire a manifold with 1/2 tapered valves for these tanks? A Voit one would be nice. :-)

There was one on a eBay a month ago that went for cheap. Kicking myself for not bidding now.

I'm assuming if I just wanted to keep them singles, the XS Scuba 1/2 Tapered Thread would work? (http://www.xsscuba.com/valve_xsvalve_models.html). I thinking of using these valves (not vintage obviously) but I dont believe the banjo adapter will work with them.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 pm

A few years ago I made copies of the Mar-Mac banjo from the 50's which was thinner and more problematic than the US Divers version that you have. I use the USD banjo on a lot of thermo and blue steel valves with no issue.
VDH is a XS Scuba dealer so if you decide to go with the new valves after you get the cylinders cleaned up and tested send me an E-mail and I'll price them right for you.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

macado
Master Diver

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks Bryan. If I decide to go with XS Scuba valves. I'll shoot you an email. Would love to double these up though.

I stripped the vinyl off one of them. Need to do the same thing on the second and then take valves off and send them to hydro and hope they pass.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

I would keep them as doubles myself.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

macado
Master Diver

Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:44 pm

I thought I remember someone was selling the reproduction Voit tank decals. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I see the ones that Bryan has in the store but I kind of wanted to get the same ones I have.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 pm

Karl G has them but I don't have his current artwork to put them for sale on the new site.

kgehring
Master Diver

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:03 am

Decals are for sale on:www.scubamuseum.com
I will try to send pics to Bryan for the store with links.
Thanks Bryan!
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Return to “Tanks and Valves”